Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

The reason we see nothing… is because these are unofficial tweeks and fiddling arounds that will vary from home to home, person to person and equipment to equipment… as far as home networking, you need simply follow the instructions of your home network equipment and connect up… you really don’t need to do the vast majority of what is discussed in this thread for streaming … it’s equivalent of putting coloured felt tip around the edges of your CDs when CD replay was at its height… Naim didn’t make any recommendations of colour of felt tip then :grinning: … so take it all with a pinch of salt from a group of somewhat eccentric enthusiasts.

So please don’t be confused… just follow the instructions of your home network equipment and follow common sense that you apply with all of your Hi-Fi … audio streaming need be no more complex than streaming Netflix to your smart TV or phone.

4 Likes

Hi I use 8m cinnamon and it was ok when 1st in then it got worse then it opened up and is now really very good. You will need to give it a month of constant use. Put internet radio through it and keep it going 24/7. :yum:

3 Likes

I dispute that, I’m completely eccentric! :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Gary… as the vast majority of the effects here are not data, Ethernet or network related, not least for the reasons you state, ( and also because data only flows for short bursts of time - legacy streamers; or continuous flow at start of media only - current streamers) but will be including traditional analogue noise issues and the flow of common mode residual currents through the conductors, drain conductors and shields … and if shields are connected at one end for example only then there may be audible difference from the connected audio equipment.

Fair cop :rofl:

1 Like

Belden 10GX is a F/UTP (foil shielded cable with a drain wire)
BJC leave the screen unconnected (passive as they call it) & use un-shrouded RJ45 plugs.
The BJC Cat-6A they have today is not 10GX, they have a Cat-6A made especially for them by Bleden & its unlisted. Not sure where you got that cable from, but its not what BJC offer today.
As I said before 10GX is a network cable, not a patch cord. But there is nothing that prevents or is detrimental to use network cable for patch other than size & flexibility, it’ll work so go for it.

1 Like

Mike any Cat or ISO/IEC 1106 cable is considered network cable, simply patch leads are lengths of network cable with plugs connected to the cable at both ends.

I have made my own patch leads from a drum of network cable and crimped the connectors on using an appropriate tool… and then tested them before using. Similar to what I have done in my professional world.

Yes Simon, I’m aware of that, the discussion is related to Belden’s 10GX which has 23AWG wire & that is not easy to fit to a standard RJ45.

Oh I see, yes typically one uses the right RJ45 plugs for the cable, sometimes based on category, but more often based on wire gauge size.
I assumed most here are buying ready terminated leads and not making them up themselves from network cable , ie they are using patch leads… Did you connect up your Belden leads yourself? If so what plugs and tool did you use… I did once not use the right plugs and they wouldn’t grip properly when crimped.

Its not my cable, but Rick has a BJC ready made patch that clearly shows its made by BJC & its a Belden 10GX. Its not what BJC sell today so who knows.

Simon you strike me as a very intelligent person, but there ‘may’ be a red london bus on the dark side of the moon.

Also, all things being equal if at the time of listening, the compressor on your fridge happens to be in stand by will we hear an audible difference?

Even if we agree that there ‘may’ be an audible difference, can we agree that the difference will be so marginal, so tiny, that in a proper blind listening (of which I note all evangelists furiously discount as non applicable) it could not reliably be identified?

Simon, do you believe the type of rubber foot you use on a fifty quid switch from the 90s will have an genuine, repeatable under test conditions audible difference that can be measured?

No sitting on the fence on this one Simon, no ‘may’, we need definitives here!

2 Likes

@garyi It’s kind of an audiophile thing. If you have any cable that’s not marked for directionality by installing it with writing following signal one at least knows which direction the cables have been run in, in. Take Naca5 as an example if it is run in in the direction of the writing and if you removed it you’d know which way to put it back.

Actually I have a number of them. I probably bought them 4-5 years ago. I think I have both STP and UTP I’ll route around a bit more later today. Also I found Belden’s web site very interesting reading. They own a bunch of companies that do all kinds of cables and network stuff. Lots of optical cable and very high tech products. Belden.com

1 Like

You know me, I do try and keep an open mind, but I know where you are coming from… :grinning:
But I think we agree, this almost certainly has nothing to do with data transfer and home data networks.

As far as rubber feet, to be fair I have had correspondence from a trade Hi-Fi journalist who told me he had noticed the switches appeared microphonic. To be clear, I haven’t noticed this, but I have my switches out of the way of my audio equipment so it’s moot.

In my professional world I am certainly aware of microphony in fibre data equipment that can be taken advantage of in some circumstances but not twisted pair data

Indeed, if network gear is being used to the genuine advantage of audio, then it should be treated as such, mine is in the garage.

The thing I guess is that audiophiles like to look at it, groan. I guess if I got mugged into buying an ‘audiophile’ switch, as mentioned earlier in this thread I too would probably at least want to stare at it, ever thoughtful on my life choices, haha.

4 Likes

Keep in mind that some patch cord brands have a screen that is left floating at one end, AQ I believe do so. All good practice as it’s one way to avoid multiple ground points, but instructions on how to install these cables is not exactly clear with what I’ve read - not sure were (who’s) I read it, but it said ‘arrow towards source’, a source component in Naimland is the streamer, but the data source is the server/NAS or 'tinernet.
Outside of the floating screen cables, data flows in both directions so directionality is a load of buffalo chips, & screens are not required anyway.

One thing for sure … run in is real … and different cables do well sound different. Period. Although bits are bits… I wonder that the data being sent across kinda almost has an analogue structure to the signal patterns embedded in packets… as I simply cannot understand why a new cable should make any difference to digital…but it does…

1 Like

Richieroo, because, as has been said numerous times on this forum alone, it’s nothing to do with encapsulated data and/or data networks… it’s all to with analogue electronics, RF loading, capacitive coupling and electro magnetic effects of electrical noise to the connected audio equipment…just as you have with mains leads and interconnects.

The data aspects are totally irrelevant… and if they weren’t the SQ would be all over the place during playback as underneath the covers the actual data does not constantly flow and can be quite haphazard and irregular

2 Likes

Did anyone mention buffers? We should not confuse people

You mean on trains? I don’t believe so…

1 Like