Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Better than the results, though :wink:

1 Like

Hi Jim,

No, I meant ā€˜hugeā€™ (which might be overstating, I know) compared to the same system with TP-Link MC100CMā€™s (which improved the same system slightly). And, no none of my Naim gear will accept add on PSUā€™s - Iā€™m referring to linear power supplies for the DC gear. And who knows? Could be with a lower noise floor you might find the optical Bridge to be even MORE obvious.

When we remodeled the living room, things got swapped around and my speakers ended up between a set of French doors, about 10ā€™ apart from each other with the gear all to the left of one speaker. Tore my hair out how I was going to get NACA5 thought eh floor etc etc and then looked on my local dealers used list and lo and behold there was a 25ā€™ pair of Rumor 2 for $175. Being nice and white and malleable, I was able to nicely run it around the white wood trim of the French doors and behind a large painting to the right speaker. Sounds fine to me, esp at that price!

1 Like

I have about 900 cds ripped to flac on the internal storage of the NUC, and the rest from Qobuz. The local files sound somewhat better, but streaming is really dang close.

2 Likes

Nice work by your friend btw. This is probably one of my best known images FWIW. Different genres for sure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Their official blurb is not much better. Thatā€™s the quotes I posted. Saying that all IT switches donā€™t care about data integrity is just hilarious.

1 Like

Perhaps itā€™s just me and I might be old fashioned but I think, looking at what you describe in your system, that I would be focusing more on hardware rather than cable.

1 Like

Now thatā€™s rock and roll - literally.
(My life as a punk rock climber from age 16 was lived in the spirit of that photoā€¦)
Sorry to divert thread.

1 Like

WAV is loads better than FLAC. And I include transcoded in that statement too.
Checked with my missus who has no idea what FLAC or WAV are and she picked WAV every single time.

2 Likes

Yeahā€¦ you are right to pull them up ā€¦ but they do offer good solid productsā€¦pseudo science needs debunkingā€¦ they go over the top at timesā€¦

Hi ā€¦ I tried wav and was not convincedā€¦strange. All the flacs I do are losslessā€¦with no compression. Wav just seemed no betterā€¦what system do you haveā€¦

1 Like

That might be true if the Naim gear is doing the unpacking, but in my case itā€™s the microRendu doing so. It is sending WAV via the Sonicorbiter app to my UQ though. Plus flags take up less space, and at the end of the day I just couldnā€™t bothered.

Well, one does need cables to get to the hardware after all. Plus, not all of us are able to go pop down $3-5k on a black box upgrade just because. This is a system Iā€™ve built up over the last seven years and sounds way beyond the starting point. Plus, factoring in family room and WAF considerations, the half width Naim works best for me. Recently asked my Naim dealer about upgrading the 110 to a 100 because I felt I could use a bit more oomph (no room on the ā€˜rackā€™ or wallet really for a full width amp) and he resoundingly said no, keep the 110. So there you have it.

It was ffmpeg on a QNAP doing the unpacking. I also tried V3 and V4 versions of ffmpeg on a RasPi with exactly the same results.
Memory and CPU usage on both devices was low.

Iā€™d also previously compared FLAC/WAV on my Naim streamer and preferred WAV. So for a while I set Asset to transcode.

Itā€™s in my profile. :blush:

Well, I have a half dozen boxes of cds sitting in the basement that you are more than welcome to come over and re-rip. Pizza and beer on me. Not a chore I would ever want to do again. Iā€™m fine with flac 5. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Itā€™s a free upgrade and dBPoweramp will convert it all. If you find no difference then you can convert it back again.:blush:
You could even do a small sample first.
You donā€™t need to rerip, this is what computers are for!

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting. I use Asset to transcode and cannot tell native WAV and the transcoded flac apart.

1 Like

so it will be cisco SFP > fiber optic > optical rendu ā€¦
however, if i was you, but of course i am not, i would more upgrade the dac ( dac VI) before all this networking opimization: hdplex, uptone, optical renduā€¦

If you have a single core CPU in both the NAS and the R Pi, then you may well find that FLAC transcoded to WAVE isnā€™t quite as good as WAVE played direct, even with low CPU usage.
(I donā€™t know about dual core NAS boxes, but with quad core CPUs they should be identical.)

1 Like

Both the NAS and Pi are 4-core CPUs. Running Linux ā€˜topā€™ showed CPU usage of around 8%.
Both CPUs are ARM ones.