Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I stuck mine in with signal travelling with the writing on the sheath.
Will try it the other way this weekend and let you know…
I wonder if cables burn in directionally!!! :crazy_face:

A very basic model of the role of noise (from ‘ancient history’) from a lecture I’m giving tomorrow…

1 Like

When Naim make their cables they listen to a sample to see which way round sounds best, therefore they are directional. If BJ don’t do that it must be irrelevant which way round is better - if indeed one way actually is better - as it will vary from batch to batch. So surely there is no correct way and it’s simply a case of plugging them in?

2 Likes

Peter, yes the direction of the cable gives different sound signatures. But I tested that on some cables as vodka, diamond, meicord…and found the differences very minimal. For me it can’t impact the results of a test.

1 Like

I understand the underlying principle behind it.

Ethernet cables don’t have a ‘sound’ of their own in any way shape or form; rather, they alter the sound of the player to which they are attached, changing it in unpredictable ways.

2 Likes

That’s because some of the pixie dust has rubbed off onto the connectors in the Linn.

2 Likes

I really dislike telegartner connectors on this WireWorld cable to damn long and don’t click nicely in place. I am sure they choose them because they look fancier.

1 Like

If you want to forget the wires why don’t you stop posting on this thread?

3 Likes

So if you don’t believe cables are directional why do you think Naim they are?
Why do you think various people can hear differences when they swop cables around in direction?
They are all deluded and you know better, is that it?
But, no, actually mate, don’t bother telling me.

1 Like

Yes I would say deluded!

1 Like

Directionality for speaker and signal cables makes sense, I’m less convinced about data cables.

1 Like

I’m not mad about Telegartner either, but the ones on my Wireworld demo cables weren’t Telegartner - they were much worse. The not clicking into place was terrible! Never had that on a Telegartner…

Personally the amount of belief I hear on this forum begs belief sometimes. People easily fall in to line because some respected member says its so. Perhap we are not all sheep and make our own minds up . I for one have had my network cables in any old way it makes no difference. After reading it on here I tried swapping them around no difference. I just purposefully put the WireWorld I just got to test, in the allegedly wrong way then switched it and played the same songs no difference. Someone might think at the factory it does but here in mine it matters jack.

No I am not calling anybody a liar or saying they are deluded. I am just saying what is so for me. If people want to believe in the Emporers new tailor they are more than welcome.

5 Likes

So they are not Telegartners then what are they some hybrid?

The name’s on them but I can’t remember it offhand. Also German, though.

I will have a closer look when I pull them out for the next cable change. Interestingly the packet had been opened before, I wonder if its one of your returns. Its from FutureShop due to their return policy.

Not really convinced on this either. I just don’t see how it can be better one way or another.

1 Like

Perhaps it adds to the mystique and allure surrounding naim? Perhaps once back in the day someone at naim believed they heard a difference and started down that path? Perhaps there are some at naim that do not believe it makes any difference, who knows?
Perhaps they do it to offer comfort to more anxious purchasers that they ‘got it right’ when assembling their hifi?

Why because a manufacturer does this do you automatically believe that it is true?

1 Like

Jim, that looks a slide describing the general state of Shannon’s information theory and Entropy from my uni days … information theory as we know is what communication protocols are built upon… and of course is the cornerstone of the OSI model of which TCP/IP is built on… ie that is data.

For the perturbation we are mostly discussing here, it’s more I believe to do with closed system noise, system theory and feedback systems which is more along the lines of where the data is x, the f(x) is the processing of data for an outcome, e is the perturbation.
f(x) + e -> f(x+e)

At my uni, information theory was part of the computer scientist world , and systems theory was a principle studied by the economists, psychologists and engineers … the two came together in my course, Computer Engineering :grinning:

And yes here the two come together… but in the mind of the listener :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey for the record CG I’ve never heard a cable sound different by swopping it round either.

But I can imagine that it’s possible.

I am open minded about it.

I’m even open minded to the possibility that it’s impossible and that those who say they hear it are deluded.

But in order to decide Either way I’d have to do a shedload of testing of many types of cables in many types of systems.

So until I do that I’ll try to stay open minded about that issue.

One thing I am sure about is that every change you make to the hifi equipment will alter the total electrical state of the system, and therefore will change the pattern of sound waves that the speaker drivers produce.

The questions are whether that change can be heard by the listener, and whether the listener prefers it.

2 Likes