EtherRegen vs EE?

So is there an observable trend among the outcomes here placing one higher than the other wrt ER v EE? Or is it a scatter plot like the boutique streaming cable population of outcomes? :smiley:

I don’t agree at all. Smooth/Bloom etc is far from my experience. In my system, the Melco switch is a major improvement. Currently listening to ‘The Best of The Kinks’ as I’ve never heard it before .
If you can borrow a S100, do so. Otherwise go to a dealer and get them to demo. You won’t be in any doubt. You’ll just have to decide if it is value for money for you…

2 Likes

Sorry, my reply was aimed at the forum generally. I wasn’t trying to change your mind.

1 Like

Don’t worry: I didn’t take it like that! :slight_smile: As always with these things, system, room and musical preferences always play a role in this. We always need to audition anything for that reason whenever possible and support the dealers who enable us to do so.

Realism of timbre in classical instruments is a bugbear of mine and that is where I found the noise shaping of the Melco particularly deficient in my system.

I would therefore, like you, strongly recommend a good try before one buys and in one’s own system (fortunately the lockdown has increased dealer willingness to offer this), comparing the Melco with the considerably cheaper EtherRegen (which I much prefer) and English Electric (which I haven’t heard).

1 Like

Just curious if you hear any differences with the ER? I already tried it but I think not.
Cheers,
Brian

I posted my first thoughts here :
–> One step forward: ER +lpsu

Interesting topic almost asking to the Ethernet cable saga.
Oddly Uptone themselves say no benefit in better LPS even their own.

Maybe its all more noise shaping (i.e. expensive tone controls.

Use of a fancy linear power supply (such as our matching UltraCap LPS-1.2) is NOT required to get outstanding performance from the EtherREGEN. While high-quality power supplies make a nice difference most everywhere else in a music system, we personally are not hearing very much change with power supplies and the EtherREGEN (certainly owing to its great isolation and internal power networks). Yet others do report some benefit, so you are of course welcome to experiment within the +DC 7~12V range. [Note: The original UltraCap LPS-1, with top setting of 7V, does not have enough current for the EtherREGEN. The UltraCap LPS-1.2, with its 9V and 12V settings can easily power an EtherREGEN.]

1 Like

So was this moving from all copper ethernet to copper with a short optical link - as well as adding the ER?

So the changes are down to those 2 factors, not just the ER itself?

I only the tried the following setup (with brilliant results!)

Roon Server----Cisco_3560—(5 meters fiber)— EtherRegen—ND555

Using the Cisco’s SFP port made sense.

It completely electrically decouples the de ND555 from the rest of the network.

I didn’t try using Ethernet cable between the Cisco and the ER.

1 Like

Hi,
I have just posted a similar question in a.n.other thread prior to browsing this one, but it maybe more relevant here…
I would like to try ‘stacking’ a cisco 2960 before my EtheRegen via SFP, but lack the technical expertise to choose a suitable pair of 'cisco compatible" modules (LC multimode)
Any recommendations gratefully received…

mark (frojo)

@Thomas just put in a fibre link between his Cisco and his ER switch and is v pleased with it.

If you search his profile you may find the post under Activity.

1 Like

Hi Nigel

I have not mentioned this before but when I’d had the ER for about 3 weeks I compared it to just connecting direct from router to 272.

The SQ difference was minimal.

At that time I had my 2 PoE Ciscos up for sale.

So I got them out again and preferred them to any other combination of switches.

So I returned the ER and never got to hear it with an LPS.

Partly this is a testament to how good the Cisco are in PoE configuration.

(Also I realised that ER/LPS was going to severely dent my ability to get X72 when it finally comes along.)

1 Like

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the insight.

These pesky switches are a pain, and no mistake. I too have 2 Cisco 2960 switches, but not in PoE configuration as neither does PoE.

How long are you prepared to wait for the mythical X72 before you try a ER with a pukka power supply?

Well, at least until say May when there might be a big hifi show in Munich (ha ha).

Or Naim might give up on hifi shows as context for a launch and just release the beast when it’s ready.

I have no doubt that if I’d held on for my DC3 that would have made a big difference.

But the timing did not allow that test to be made.

2 Likes

…when… or …if… :wink:

Yes, but if the X72 never emerges I will not look back in anguish.

Am loving the :musical_note:

1 Like

Hey I even finally painted the strip in the wall behind the hifi!

1 Like

I faced a similar dilemma, but went ahead with an ER powered by Uptone’s JS-2.

Upgrades are often more obvious in reverse. This afternoon I put my 2 Cisco 2960s (PD + PoE) back in the loop (without ER) and the difference was obvious, with the extra detail & subtlety from the Uptone duo suddenly MIA.

Agree, this might not be the wisest investment if a NAC X72 is imminent, but I’d still expect an ER + LPS to improve any new streamer’s SQ, if by a slimmer margin.

Thanks - that’s interesting and useful to know.
Especially relevant to me as you’re one of the few of us who use PoE Ciscos.
We have no idea whether or when the X72 will come and what it will cost, etc.
But I’m happy chilling out in the meanwhile.
More audio ‘switch’ and LPS combos will probably emerge over the coming year too.
And then if there is an X72 there’s the temptation of Roon too.