Euro 2024

He is having a good season in Germany :de: I understand

1 Like

He has. I donā€™t want to come over as a complete Palace fanboy, but for the left back place, Tyrick Mitchell is really on form at present. He got capped 2 years but not since then

I think that entire team are on form ā€¦

My guess is that after every Euros or World Cup there is a clear out of existing senior players "who want to spend more time concentrating on their team "

I wonder if Southgate will be team manager after the Eurosā€¦

Henderson not in cut for midfield but Adam Wharton is - good call. Nice to see Eze and Guehi there as well

Good to see Jarrad Branthwaite there as well - lots of youngsters

Hopefully this past season and missing out on the squad will spur Rashford on because he is a decent player he needs a fresh star probably away from England.

2 Likes

Needs to at least get away from Man U and you are probably right - away from England

2 Likes

I think that his hunger for the game has gone.
I donā€™t think heā€™ll be the same player again.

2 Likes

Think theyā€™ve listed quite a few midfielders as strikers :joy:

1 Like

Even as a Spurs man, Iā€™m a bit surprised with the inclusion of Maddison.

He was pretty poor over the second half of the season for us.

2 Likes

Picking the squad strikes me as fairly easyā€¦now pick the starters!

TrentAA as a midfielder. Typo or clue?

Bruce

I wonder if Bob has any inside information about what caused the fallout with Ben White? Whilst he does come across as a bit of a narcissist (Ben White not Bob!), he has had a very good season and should probably be in the starting 11, let alone the squad. Disappointing that grown men canā€™t sort this kind of stuff out (Sancho/Ten Hag for example).
Glad Rashford didnā€™t make the squad. His loss of form is one thing, his complete lack of effort or commitment is inexcusable.
We will undoubtedly shoehorn a right-sided player into left back, with the usual end result.
Still, on balance I am optimistic about the potential for a good performance in the Euros if Southgate dares take off the handbrake.

1 Like

I think itā€™s common knowledge now that Southgateā€™s most trusted coach Steve Holland in the middle of the last World Cup dug Ben White out in front of his England team mates over his lack of interest and knowledge of the finer intricacies of the game and when he went to Southgate to speak to him about the incident found no sympathy there.

Though Ben White is an extremely talented and according to Mikel Arteta a consummate and hard working professional he isnā€™t a student of the game, doesnā€™t watch football outside of work and seeā€™s it entirely as a job.

1 Like

Reminds me of our eccentric fullback ā€˜Bennyā€™ Benoit Assou-Ekotto. Good player but really didnā€™t like football !

ā€œIā€™m lucky and appreciate what I have, but football is just a job, a means to an endā€¦ there are more important things in life than kicking a ball aroundā€¦ Yes, I play for the money but then doesnā€™t everybody who gets up in the morning and goes to work? They do it to provide for their family. It infuriates me when footballers go on about playing for the shirt. I think they should be held accountable for it when they kiss the badge and six months later clear off for a better pay day.ā€

Canā€™t help but like the guy.

3 Likes

Hmm! He sounds even more of a wan**r than I thought. Shame really.

The Ben White situation has been done to death and I believe people had their say on it months ago over on the PL thread he isnā€™t even up for selection.

There appears to be the usual assumption that purely because a player excels for their club, they are obviously suitable for, and will fit, into a national team.
Perhaps they excel because and only because they have their team round them.
Bit like why music supergroups donā€™t always work.
Perhaps GS is missing a goldmine by not looking any lower down the Prem than 7th placed team.

I donā€™t envy GS in any way!
Apologies Bob dont mean to derail your great thread , but think itā€™s a valid point.

2 Likes

Itā€™s difficult for all you England fans on the emotional roller coaster: Massive expectations inevitably followed by massive disappointment.

But if you think thatā€™s tough, consider the plight of us Scotland fans. Few expectations, but still we suffer crushing disappointment. I can barely bring myself to watch the games.

5 Likes

To be fair I always think Scotlandā€™s fans usually handle any tournament pretty well. No real expectations but nevertheless there to enjoy the atmosphere and whatever results come their way. Down here the press starts getting excited, the hype builds, and inevitably crushing disappointment ensues.

3 Likes

Er ā€¦4 players selected from Palace who are 10th?