Euro 2024

Lets see if they get to play.

Rice Bellingham
Palmer
Saka Kane Foden

Frighteningly good attack. Shame our central defence and goalkeeper are only mediocre.

1 Like

It get’s Palmer into the starting 11 I suppose but Phil Foden is wasted out wide. Phil Foden is probably the reason Palmer went to Chelsea and he is the reason he will have to start on the subs bench in Germany he’s had a fantastic season and fully deserves to be in the squad but Cole Palmer doesn’t start in that position over Phil Foden

There lies the crux of it. S’pose it will be interesting watching England in the tournament. Guaranteed goals… one way or other.

I agree. No point trying to find a way to include Palmer in the first 11.
It would only end up making us weaker.

Hard not to have some sympathy for Southgate as an international manager. Time for two warmups only, no Man City or Man U players after the FA cup, no Bellingham after CL. He doesnt get to play anything like a first choice team and gets criticism because it is all a bit disjointed. I suspect only 2 of the starters against Bosnia would start in the Euros, and one of those the keeper!

Surely Trent has to play, for his long range passing if nothing else, but midfield? I wonder if Walker might swap to leftbeck and let Trent play Rt back.

Bruce

Southgate obviously still doesn’t think much of Maddison. Not a surprise.

As I wrote earlier, I was a bit surprised to see him in the squad to begin with.

He was pretty poor for us in the latter part of last season. Either finding it hard to recover from his mid season injury, or a problem with losing motivation (a problem at Leicester, I think), I don’t know.

In any case, there really is little chance of him breaking into the England midfield at the moment.

1 Like

All 4 Palace players selected for the final 26

2 Likes

Aye, read that. Good , glad they have made the final selection.

And he’s been forced to leave ‘Ole Slabed’ at home which is a bonus.

1 Like

Guehi will definitely play, Eze and Wharton highly to play, Henderson unlikely to play. That is some squad that Southgate has chosen

Come on England!

1 Like

Only two Man City players in the England Squad. Tells you something about the Premier League.

Yep. Quite refreshing to see.
Still think we’ll struggle in defence. But, hey-ho !
COME ON ENGLAND !!!
:grin:

1 Like

At least England won’t be plagued by the Spurs curse… :rofl:

2 Likes

Hope the CP players get a good opportunity to play.

3 Likes

Personally, and I am probably in a minority here, I think if you are gonna select new blood into the squad, you’ve got to give them decent playing time at some point. it’s no use just taking them and sitting them on the bench “for the experience” (Theo says ‘Hello’).

If they are good enough to play for England, give them a chance. The best “experience” is minutes on the field.

5 Likes

Agree entirely, it’s good to see selection from the other PL teams in addition to the usual top 4

I just hope Southgate picks players that are actually fit, and not carrying an injury.

I also hope that he plays players in positions that suit their strengths rather than being one of those “tactical” managers that likes to play a right winger at left back sort of bloke.