Euro 2024

Great game but Spain throw themselves to ground way too much for me, and unfortunately even the brilliant 16 year old has already mastered acting (cheating). Shame I’ll be supporting opposition in the final.

1 Like

I detest all the flopping and cheating too. But this was worse, whatever the old “men were men back then” brigade might say.

From ArsenalArsenal.net: Arsenal’s Ted Drake was badly injured in a game against Brentford in 1937-38 and was carried off the field. He regained consciousness, had a deep cut stitched up and was sent back out for the second half. He had a fresh bandage around his head to go with the dirty one on his left wrist. Arsenal lost 3- 0. The introduction of substitutes was almost 30 years away.

Many other such tales, of course. Drake was far from the only one. And all for £8 a week.

1 Like

They don’t breed them like that anymore.

The one positive thing about the English team is they (generally) don’t do a lot if cheating.

We have to get past The Netherlands of course but what a great final England v Spain, the way Spain play dictates the way the opposing team plays and England like France will be forced to come out and play because sitting back won’t be an option.

1 Like

We’ll have to agree to differ on that. I did spot this interesting bit of information on Twitter:

Since May 2001, Spanish teams have played non-Spanish teams in 22 major finals (Champions League, Europa League, World Cup, Euros). The Spanish side has won all 22 finals.

I thought France pretty ordinary in this tournament when compared to their best sides. Defended well - attacked poorly.

Bunch of woosies…

Read this!

“Your name will also be going in my book…What is it?”

That’s not the only criterium though. The rules also talk about whether it makes the body unnaturally bigger, which was the case here. Either makes it an offence, but just because one doesn’t apply doesn’t mean it’s allowed.

That ball was going straight for goal, and had his hand been against his body it would have gone in (barring a potential save by the keeper).

So players have to now run around the penalty area making tackles and blocking shots with their arms down by their sides.

No we get suckered in to reacting to things and then seeing red.

:roll_eyes:

I did say generally :rofl:

1 Like

I thought you lived in Oxford and were called Ian

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Yup. I would agree the current rules aren’t great. They were changed to have less discussion around handballs, and look what we’re doing now :-/

1 Like

Is that something the ref said?

I addressed that in my post. Cucurella was moving his arm toward his body and behind his back. Not a penalty.

Look, this all far more subjective than it should be. The handball law is ridiculous as written (as is the offside law). And penalties as a punishment are out of all proportion to the supposed offences in most cases. When a penalty is awarded, it’s a goal about eight times out of 10.

Penalties should be given only after a deliberate attempt to stop an obvious goal-scoring opportunity. “Deliberate” and “obvious” would still be open to debate, but such is football.

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Nope.
Philip Madoc, I suspect??

Pretty much… yes.

Could be worse

4 Likes

Nice. About 650 year later, actually today July 10th 440 years ago, Orange was taken out by shoot out… not today! :netherlands:

On topic for your off topic: Jaap Stam Euro 2000 having being stitched in his eyebrow, not moving a muscle.:muscle: