Euro 2024

That’s refreshing normally it’s behind a paywall

7 Likes

Could be why England made it to the final.

1 Like

Well your rugby side is 7 all against the ABs in 15th minute

Funny how change in government often has an effect on a countries sport results.

Edit at half time England 14 NZ 13

2 Likes

I couldn’t possibly comment.

Richard wouldn’t let me.

1 Like

Great to see the Jones’ era well in the rear-view mirror now. We have backs scoring tries, well I never…!

Yes and after years of rubbish we seem heading in the right direction. EJ was/is a waste of space.

And it 2 tries to 1

We do seem a lot more ‘Rugby’ if you know what I mean. There’s at least some joy in this as well as professional like purpose.

Nice bit on the UK commentary

“Ah, he just milked it (ref)…”

‘I think he was more creamed than milked …’

BBC Radio rugby union commentators are first class.

They actually make the game sound far more exciting than it actually is.

I can actually listen to a whole match, but turn off after 10 minutes when watching.

Respect.

2 Likes

Another game going to the wire…

Yes but unfortunately for you guys not your way.

‘When beer cups came I had to walk towards them’ – Southgate bares his soul

Great interview in The Times.

Can’t put it any better than that.

Success in football is measured in trophies only by those who believe they have an entitlement to them. Real success? It’s about a winning culture. It’s about a moral stance. It’s about understanding what you achieved and the context in which you achieved it. It’s the same reason Everton fans venerate Moyes as much as Kendall. Many many other examples. It’s why Georgia and Albania had hugely successful tournaments but Italy and Croatia did not.

Ramsey won one tournament on home soil with the required amount of luck (not a criticism, all wins need luck) including the kicking to pieces of the best teams in the world and some dreadful refereeing performances. His pre tournament preparation for 66 and 70 has rightly been pulled apart as amateurish because it was. Faced with what Southgate walked into he would have likely lasted less than 4 years and faced a level of offensive ridicule from national media and fans similar to Graham Taylor. O every metric bar that one win Southgate has long since edged ahead.

Given his longevity; his win rate; the distance his teams have progressed in tournament after tournament and so much more he is far and away the most successful England manager and that is likely to be the case for a long time to come. England losing on Sunday will lead to the usual knee jerk nonsense but on reflection, and faced with the fallow period which will inevitably follow in the cyclical manner in which all these things work, I maintain that no-one will argue the point.

1 Like

For me Mainoo has been our best player. And his. Play with foden has been class.
Rice has looked like the pudding he is

Atb
Kk

4 Likes

One more sleep. Good luck.

1 Like

Mainoo has been excellent so far but he will be up against the best midfield in Europe possibly the World tonight so his partnership with Declan Rice who is Southgate’s only undroppable player will be key. Rodri, Ruiz and Olmo would totally overrun an England midfield without Declan Rice and do not be surprised if at some point Connor Gallagher comes on to replace Mainoo if the midfield battle begins to look lost.

1 Like

My wife has just said she might cook paella tonight before the football. Bad omen?

2 Likes

Not if you make the prawns look like a St George’s cross :wink:

4 Likes

So even if he retires after winning nothing Gareth Southgate goes down in the history books as a greater English manager than the manager who won a World Cup on home soil?

Not for me he doesn’t although I may well change my mind tonight.

2 Likes

Still not The World Cup though is it…

2 Likes

Pretty certain Mainoo played against the best midfield in the f a cup final and we know what he did there. Yes it will be tough but I think the kid will be alright. Bellingham will be the target and he needs to keep his cool.

Atb
Kk

1 Like