Euro 2024

True, Bob. The word “success” is still, bizarrely, being mentioned in connection with Southgate. England didn’t win. Southgate was NOT successful. It’s ridiculous, time to move on.

2 Likes

I agree, roll on Euro’s 28.

3 Likes

As I said before is winning the only measure of success? In the end there’s many great football teams in Europe/the world. And any win (or even getting to the final) will require a bit of luck as well as managerial skill. Getting to the (semi-)final could already be considered an achievement.

While I’m no fan of Southgate, I also think “only a win is good enough” is unfair. What’s wrong about him has been outlined plenty above, most of the arguments made would still hold had he won.

2 Likes

Well, the debate about who should replace GS is now real. He’s just resigned.

To be fair to Southgate, in his eight years in charge, he has improved England. His record, in terms of win statistics and how far he’s taken us into tournaments, is one he should be rightly proud of. But throughout that time England have been a team that has been hard to watch, playing conservative football in which the talented players seemed constrained from using their flair and instincts. I’m struggling to think of performances where England really lifted the spirits of the fans.

I’d like to see Eddie Howe or Klopp replace him.

2 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

I do hope he’s not rewarded with a gong.

Like myself you’re talking into an entitled void. I feel for Southgate and the players but for certain fans not at all. Their measure of success makes more than 95% of managers and teams abject failures and if that’s your measure of success then what a miserable existence to lead. 4 minutes from extra time in a European final and the apocalypse is here. They’ve got what they wanted now but they’ll never be happy. These are people who would have sacked Klopp for losing 2 cup finals; would have told Pep he was a failure because he won nothing in his first season. They have solutions to everything and answers for nothing. I shall let some prejudice break in here. I can’t wait to see what happens next. It’s going to be messy, quite funny and a little sad.

2 Likes

Why on earth not? He has made several real improvements (as outlined in my previous post) and has done far more than some other people who have been recognised in previous honours lists

5 Likes

I think he should be rewarded with a gong, he has taken the team from the depths of Big Sam and his dodgy deals to two finals, one semi final and a quarter final.

He has moved the country forward hugely.

Yes, Gareth didn’t win anything in terms of tournaments, but in his service to football and raising standards within the game his commitment cannot be questioned.

Anyway, Sir Gareth Southgate has a good ring to it.

7 Likes

There are over 50 countries that enter the Euros each time. We have been in the last two twice running. That is quite difficult to achieve. We have not qualified or got out of the group stages in 8 out of the last 16 Euros. GS has two finals out of two attempts. Not shabby in my book.

5 Likes

Which he did, there is a very short and uninspiring list.

I would love to have seen Jurgen Klopp as the front runner but his idea of a year off seems a good one.

Frankly the England team seemed very tired and lethargic, and Kane carrying an injury did not help, I think the team looks like a six month break would be beneficial

Wasn’t the objective to win? You may not approve of what Lance Armstrong did, but he came up with a good point: “Second place is first loser”. So let’s have non-competitive sport in schools and reward failure. What message does that send?

1 Like

Gareth Southgate’s record against teams ranked in the top ten 6 wins in 27 attempts wow that must make him England’s greatest ever manager.

1 Like

If the first 11 didn’t play (at least for England) for the next 6 months, then the second 11 could start the World Cup qualifying games, they have had a bit of a rest in the last few weeks.

:roll_eyes: :man_facepalming:

1 Like

That can’t be true. He has never won a major tournament. Ramsey did which makes him the greatest manager.
Gareth has failed to win, just as many other have, Coming second isn’t the goal.

1 Like

I was being sarcastic a working class trait I’m afraid.

1 Like

Apologies, I missed the WOW.

What the bookies think:

Graham Potter

7/4

Lee Carsley

9/4

Eddie Howe

4/1

Mauricio Pochettino

8/1

Frank Lampard