European Championships 2020 /21

Ahem…

We did huff and puff a bit but got there in the end.

Mings and Phillips both did very well especially the Leeds player I thought he was excellent. Southgate was overly cautious and defensive though with his team selection and we really lacked a creative threat (Grealish, Saka and Sancho) but it’s a win against a pretty capable Croatia side.

I thought Phillips and Mount were the best players on the pitch and both too quick and/or cute with their play for the rest of the team to keep up much of the time. Not sure why Trippier was playing left back either, it’s not like we’re short of full backs in the squad…

Don’t know what Harry Kane was about today, I would suggest binning him for the Scotland game but I now would put money on him scoring!

2 Likes

Southgate went with the experienced Trippier today which I agree was odd given the players he has there and I’m guessing that like me Chillwell would have been your choice.

Another option and I’m not being biased would be Bukayo Saka at left wing back with Jack Grealish ahead of him. Harry Kane looked la bit eggy and I agree starting Rashford or Calvert Lewin against Scotland would be sensible saving Kane for the possibly very difficult next round should we get through.

On paper England have had a more valued oppenent than the one we had two days ago:Croatia is better than Turkey
.England was very strong in the first 20-25 minutes,then Croatian mildfielders started to do their job.England seemed to accept that rythm.I didn’t expect a goal in that very moment of the match,but Sterling was there and made the right thing.Winner is always right.

This Holland-Ukraine game is just brilliant entertainment. Will we see a better goal this tournament than Yarmolenko’s* wonder goal?

*He plays for West Ham, you know.

4 Likes

Entirely agree - best match of tournament so far and the Ukrainian captains goal is the goal of the tournament so far. Thrilling stuff

2 Likes

Entertaining indeed. Happy that ‘we’ just won. But hey, a bit tension is just great.

Good fun, don’t know why but a little disappointed that NL nicked it…

3 Likes

Nothing to do with their ex Chelsea manager? I was the total opposite always have a soft spot for the Dutch. Fantastic game either way.

Maybe bias. The Dutch were better.

Nah, he didn’t do much for us…

The real news of the day for me is that Kevin de Bruyne is rejoining the Belgian team. He is their most creative player and IMO they now are a serious title candidate.

Oh agreed, they put more into the game but I like to see the underdog performing and they were great goals for the Ukraine. And the Dutch defence were quite flakey, as was the Ukraine keeper.

1 Like

I was suprised to learn that Belgium is currently no. 1 ranked on the FIFA world ranking, that’s pretty cool. :+1:

1 Like

Totally agreed to as well. I was actually surprised the Dutch came back. Traditionally we just give up. That hopeful news for coming matches.

Definitely the best goal of the tournament so far, Kev. A pity for Ukraine that they came away with nothing.

1 Like

Wow, the 2nd Czech goal!!

A wonderful lob but what was Marshall doing so far out of his goal?

2 Likes

Dunno but that was way better than any lob!! The pace and curve on it sending it between crossbar and post was outstanding. And the Czechs are my sweep team too🙂