Examples of good or interesting covers of songs

I love cover versions and devote entire playlists to them.

For starters, how about Can’t Hardly Stand It, originally by Charlie Feathers and commendably covered by The Cramps.

Try also Soul Kitchen by The Doors, as well as Mitch Ryder, Patti Smith and Echo & The Bunnymen

3 Likes

Deep Purple did a version of River deep, mountain high on their second album The book of Taliesyn), that I thought was much better than the original by Tina Turner.

Similarly Dylan’s Tambourine Man, done by The Move.

But in general I have tended to prefer whatever is the first version of a song I have heard and liked - as an example I never got on with Joe Cocker’s Help

I agree. Same with Sex Pistols’ My Way, which I think is superb.

4 Likes

I like Shawn Calvin’s covers like “Baker Street” and “Killing the Blues”. Find both excellent tracks for testing new gear by the way…

2 Likes

This is bound to attract a few “flamers” but I actually prefer covers over the originals of a lot of Dylan songs.

You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go springs to mind, the country version by Miley Cyrus and the jazz arrangement by Madeleine Peyroux are both superb whereas the original is, for me, somewhat difficult to listen to.

I suspect Dylan covers could have a thread all of their own.

4 Likes

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Dear Prudence. Much as I love The Beatles original, Siouxsie’s version is damned good!

4 Likes

If you’re into that folky/Americana stuff, try this:

It’s a covers album from an otherwise quite original singer/songwriter, with a bunch of American classics, and a couple of Beatles related songs thrown in for good measure.

1 Like

Not sure ‘fine’ is quite the right adjective Nigel…:flushed::flushed:

Richard Thompson’s cover of Britney Spears’ Oops! I Did It Again off 1000 years…always makes me chuckle.

Well of course there’s Jimi Hendrix’s cover of All Along the Watchtower, which is without doubt better than the original. Even Dylan changed the way he plays it.

3 Likes

No argument there…

Alabama song (whiskey bar). The Doors.
Although the original version is interesting.

1 Like

The Slits - Heard It Through The Grapevine

2 Likes

Four Strong Winds- Neil Young.

I like the folky stuff but not sure about the Americana, but this lady has a great voice. thanks for the recommendation… downloading it now

David Bowie - Let’s Spend The Night Together

5 Likes

yup, ditto Helter Skelter.

I would say that this thread highlights the original artists being stronger songwriters than musical artists. Which is not a criticism of course. Beatles and Dylan being cases in point.

1 Like

Talking Heads - Take me to the river. I think they did a great job on this, and a great song at the end of the fantastic stop making sense album.

6 Likes

I have yet to come across a version of The Sky is Crying I haven’t enjoyed…