Examples of good or interesting covers of songs

Just listened to Leonard Cohen’s Songs From a Room, and I was reminded how wonderful (if you like Cohen) his version of The Partisan is.

1 Like

As much as I like Santana, I prefer Fleetwood Mac’s original BMW.

But perhaps 2 songs that eclipsed the originals were THIS (please tap or click) and, of course, THIS (please tap or click).

A perfectly reasonable opinion, I like them both.

1 Like

Lana Del Ray making “scary” sexy.

A Donavan cover for the new guillermo del Toro movie

Hi,seek Joanne Shaw Taylor’s version of Wild is the Wind,superb.

Also ,can’t believe we’ve got this far into the thread without mentioning Bryan Ferry,covering anything,always great.

Jennifer Warner covers of Leonard Cohens on Famous Blue Raincoat.

4 Likes

This is a brilliant Gypsy Jazz version of !'ll See You In My Dreams…but I still like Joe Brown’s version on his ukulele…

Joe Brown is the ultimate showman - wonderful artist. My favourite JB moments are in the films Crazy World We’re Living In and Three Hats for Lisa.

Interesting one from Sinead O’Connor…Peter Tosh’s Downpressor Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF0cCQCiZ-c

2 Likes

Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Capitol 1212 feat. Earl 16 do the Joy Division favourite … another belter from the good folks at Scotch Bonnet Records.

My late wonderful wife used to say there are plenty of okay cover versions then there is All Along The Watchtower by Jimi - game over!

1 Like

Always thought this interesting

2 Likes

This is great fun:

1 Like

Covers that cross to a completely different genre can be fun…

2 Likes

…and if that’s not whacky enough for you, how about a reggae band with an Elvis impersonator as lead singer doing Led Zep covers…

2 Likes

In my mind Grand Funk Railroad’s cover of The Animals’ Inside Looking Out is the de-facto version of that song.

Some covers just totally supplant the original with their brilliance.

Same goes for Twisted Sister and their take on The Rolling Stones’ It’s only Rock n’ Roll.

I have this cd,bought from Polar Bear in Manchester,sadly now gone,but yes ,an entertaining listen.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.