Examples of good or interesting covers of songs

Grateful Dead fans tend to be a fickle and loyal bunch, and so I am not sure of the reaction that this will get, but I am also very fond of this album of Grateful Dead covers by Stephebn Inglis - “Cut the Dead some slack”:

Beautiful guitar work and some pretty nice vocals.

Stumbled across an old chestnut earlier tonight, Lone Star’s cover of She Said She Said [Lennon / McCartney].

First heard it on Alan Freeman’s final Saturday Rock Show back in August 78 and was chuffed to bits to rekindle its acquaintance on Tidal recently. It really is superb. The only thing missing is Fluff popping up at the end to back-announce it. Fabulous.

1 Like

I don’t have a link for you but have been on a John Hiatt kick for a week or so. I like all of his songs.

“Are you ready for a thing called love?” is one of his best…

Bonnie Raitt just owns it in her version. Hers is so much better that Hiatt’s is not in the same league.

1 Like

The cover version

1 Like

(I second) Wild Horses - by The Sundays
Wicked Game - London Grammar
I Can See Clearly Now - Hothouse Flowers

Hi @Camphuw continuing on this theme, here’s a covers playlist I put together a couple of years ago, now made into a Tidal playlist:

3 Likes

See also Adele’s version of the Cure’s “Love Song”.

@ChrisSU like it!
How did you embed the list into the post? - great feature

Easy, in the Tidal app you can hit the … icon next to any track, album or playlist, then select Share, then Copy, and paste it into the thread.
I might start a new thread for sharing Tidal playlists.

1 Like

Thanks - good idea

Erykah Badu and James Poyser - Tempted (Originally by Squeeze)

Heard this on the Radcliffe and Maconie BBC6 breakfast show last Saturday. The single was released for record store day. A really interesting re-styled version of the Squeeze classic

Arrived in the post today. Talking Heads’ cover of Al Green’s take me to the river. Excellent stuff from way back when I was discovering music.

6 Likes

Used to have this on compact cassette and wore it out playing it in my car. Excellent over of Take Me to the River love that Farfisa (maybe) organ sound.

Rest of the album is wonderful.

2 Likes

In my mind this is an example of a cover that eclipsed the original.

3 Likes

Taylor Swift appeared on Simon Mayo’s BBC Radio 2 Drivetime show about 9 years ago and did an absolutely superb version of Coldplay’s “Viva La Vida”. Worth finding on T’internet.
Steve D

Rory does The Stones’ “Gimme Shelter”.

Wow!

3 Likes

Fields of gold, and Imagine by Eva Cassidy ,far better than Stings and John Lennons original versions.

:small_blue_diamond:Rag’n’Bone Man,…Have an incredible voice.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

We just watched the documentary “Quincy” on Netflix and it inspired me to pull out a couple of LP’s including this album of cover tunes. Good stuff.

1 Like

Plenty of mentions of Jonny Cash’s later stuff. Personally I like his version of U2’s ‘One’.