Experience with ndx2 ps555

Scary to know that this can happen and cool that it was finally resolved by Naim, but how did you know, what was so wrong that you were sure it was not a matter of your own system sounding different from a dealer or friends normal functioning ndac?
Claus

Did you quiz Naim about it and what did they say?

I knew how the NDAC should have sounded having owned one from new previously in my own system.

None of the 2nd hand ones that I bought sounded right - they just didn’t sound as good as my previous one did.

Naim replaced the main system board as part of the service so in effect I got back from Naim an almost new NDAC

1 Like

I got that, but if I had to go through 4 units until one sounded as it should, I would ask them what is going on

I didn’t ask the question to Naim - I just wanted one unit that sounded good.

Thanks. A pity

I guess the point of my post is that if people are auditioning an item based upon a 2nd hand model that they’ve bought then maybe it isn’t a level playing field.

Better to audition one from a trusted dealer maybe?

Yeah, good point

What age were the nDACs?

What condition were they in?

Did you use an external psu?

What’s in your system apart from the nDAC?

The NDACs were from 2009/2010 and all seemed in good condition.

All were used without external psu into 282/250

But you seem to thinkthat all of them have silently failed in some way? Scarry for a 2011 ndac owner. But until my dealler stops telling me that my system sounds better than much more expensive systems he has heard, there is most likely nothing to be worried about.
Claus

1 Like

There seem to be quite a few capacitors in the Naim DAC that might need changing if it’s a decade old.

Still, quite strange that three nDACs sounded worse than your memory of your first one.

The main system board was damaged on the one that you had serviced, but that’s unlikely to have been the case with all 3 of them.

Can you say what the system was that your first nDAC was in, and the system that your current nDAC is in?

Thanks
Jim

They were both used in the same 282/250 system

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/audio-myths-food-for-thought/13577/284

I was sure that the ndac did not need any servicing. If so I could have lived the next 10 years without any need to send equipment back to sq for repairs. Especially after brexit the idea of sending my 2011 ndac to HQ in an unknown future is unexpected bad news.

Hi ajm

(Your profile doesn’t say what your system is.)

Can you say what the system was that your first nDAC was in, and the system that your current nDAC is in?

Thanks
Jim

I am surprised too. I didn’t know that the Ndac needs service.

1 Like

I suppose disappointing is the wrong word. It’s only disappointing in that so much of its performance is left untapped.

I was fortunate to be able to pick up the 555PS DR used for ÂŁ4.2k so total front end cost was ÂŁ9.5k.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.