Experience with ndx2 ps555

Apparently you didn’t enjoyed the Nds. You prefer Ndac/ 555 dr. But what is the streamer ?

At some point I may try the NDX2 with a PowerSupply, but for now I’m just so happy with what I have. I feel blessed considering where I came from just last year.

I am really not sure that Ndx2 / 555 dr is better than Nd5xs2/ Ndac/ 555dr.
HH dealer said that, but maybe it’s his interest to say that ?
Some, like Chrissu or Simon S have tested and found that Nd5xs2 and Ndx2 are on similar level as transport.
And on the other side, some say that the Ndac, as dac, is better than the dac inside the Ndx2.

3 Likes

Absolutely. We are very fortunate to have such good equipment.

1 Like

I should clarify. When the time comes to audition a PS I’ll also audition the NDX2. Primary reason would be for SQ and to lower my box count. Again no rush at all as I freaking love what I have.

2 Likes

More clear, indeed :+1:

1 Like

Yes very very fortunate!

Did you hear any difference with spdif out or just a difference that was not worth the price of the ndx2?

I currently have NDS / 555 DR - previous to that NDX, NDac, 555 (non DR) - I certainly prefer the NDS / 555 both with and without DR to the 3 box solution.
My dealer who I trust says the NDX2 with 555 is a really good performer and could be better than my NDS - if not for all this lockdown lark I would prob go and hear for myself…

Gary

1 Like

I spoke to 2 dealers when upgrading and they were both of the opinion that the NDS was some way ahead of the NDX2.

They would have made more money out of my by selling an NDX2 so I don’t doubt their authenticity.

2 Likes

I but not attached to a 555PSDR. I have an NDS before so at least have the experience of both. By own dealer who visited in late November with new speakers shared for himself too. Strange but true!

At this level we really are in the realms of ‘The narcissism of small differences’.

FWIW I’ve owned 2 ndac 555PS set-ups in the past and now NDX2:XPSDR and find the latter more sophisticated and musically ‘right’.

Whatever that means.

G

4 Likes

I agree, everyone on this forum owns exceptional equipment, speaker placement, number of people in the room, a head cold, move head 3 inches to the right, alcohol, turning the light off can all make a difference.

8 Likes

@ravenswood101 - did you go from NDS to NDX2 with 555?

My assumption is the NDS is better but both armed with a 555DR I am curios as to which performs better or if it’s 6 of one v half a dozen of the other.

Gary

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned on this thread which could have an influence on the difference in opinions is sample variation between different units.

I sold my original NDAC when I ‘upgraded’ to the original NDX. After around six months with the NDX I realised that I just wasn’t connecting to the music so I sold it. I bought three different 2nd hand NDAC’s and none of them sounded as good as the original one that I owned.

It was only after sending the 3rd NDAC back to Naim for a full service that I got back an NDAC that performed to the level that I knew it was capable of.

1 Like

Did you apply the latest (few years ago now) nDac firmware to any of your previous nDacs as Naim would have applied this to the one you sent in for service.

2 Likes

Yes, I updated the firmware on all of them to the latest level

1 Like

4x nDacs now thats dedication :grinning:

1 Like

hehe :smile:

My 555PSDR was around 2 years old and was used on the NDS. I didn’t think of listening to the NDX2 on its own.