F1 - 2021 Season

I would guess more room with a red carpet for Max🙈

A racing incident my posterior.

The chicane tightens in the 2nd phase, with no room to shift to the outside. In no way, can you ‘send it up the inside’ on this corner, hence the penal bumps. You can at Copse as the bend is wide and one car can go wider.

Simply put (IMV), MV had plentiful opportunity to cede but decided not to…

2 Likes

So MV has been given a three place grid penalty at the Russian GP and two penalty points on his licence.

He got off lightly. Should have been a one race ban in my view.

No doubt Horner will try to rustle up an appeal.

7 Likes

Just caught up with the race - when Hamilton backed out in the first incident, he was not quite level with Verstappen and he was being sensible. In the second incident, the only time Verstappen seemed to be level with Hamilton was when he was landing after bouncing off the kerb. Verstappen needs to learn from Hamilton not giving way and work out that he is hurting his own championship chances

3 Likes

I’m a big max fan, and not commenting on any blame for the crash, but…
The way Mac walked away from the accident. And didn’t check if hami was ok, that was disgraceful.
Safety and common decency should be paramount.
A sad day max

3 Likes

Yep, he knew the potential outcome and just didn’t care.

Very poor form.

The penalty isn’t enough to stop him doing the same thing again.

2 Likes

Seemed like a freak accident to me. When have you ever seen the car being squeezed off the track on the outside, end up on top of the other car?

With regards to Verstappen not checking on Hamilton’s condition, surely the fact Hamilton was trying to reverse his car back onto the track indicated he was not injured.

3 Likes

MV’s car was launched off the kerbs on the inside of the corner (phase 2 of the chicane for F1 cars), these higher kerbs designed to stop drivers getting an easy bail out, there being an escape point across other obstacles (mini-speed bumps). This is all designed to ensure a driver doesn’t lunge, cut the corner (across the kerbs or not), gain an advantage via an overtake and then blame another driver for not leaving enough room. MV ignored all this.

I wouldn’t class this as a freak accident as cars have left the tarmac many times from simply clipping wheels, such are the forces involved - the first tight slow corner at Spa is a prime example of this, where many cars have been launched in to the air.

1 Like

I still haven’t come to terms with the fact that Max didn’t even see if LH was ok. I’ve never been a huge fan of either driver but I don’t believe that LH wouldn’t check to make sure the other driver was ok before storming off like a spoilt brat.

2 Likes

Pete, akin to other sports (I think here of football as the primary example), to my mind F1 has a very mixed-up set of values within its rules set e.g.

A power unit change (>3 allowed), which may have been caused by an event not of a team’s/driver’s making, relegates the driver to the back of the grid. But someone driving dangerously gets hit with a 3-place grid penalty. How does that scan?

And, this, after the faux ‘race’ that was Spa (all 2 laps of it), where the (heavily) paying punters saw no racing whatsoever and F1 decided to awards points for the charade.

1 Like

I think Lewis was operating his car to disentangle it from the mess and carry on. A good sign he was OK.

Thus Verstapen just looked to the other side and walked away. It didn’t look nice in TV however.

Spa wasn’t a race it was a joke.

True but it certainly wasn’t a good look and it does reinforce Max’s bratish reputation.

1 Like

Sort of fits in with his ridiculous post pubescent moustache effort

1 Like

Wasn’t a fan of the Halo introduction but they’ve already proved their worth several times - probably one of the best safety features in years…

Lewis was either but I bet he’s changed his mind now.

That simply didn’t happen.

Hamilton was trying to reverse back onto the track, so obviously no need to check if he was OK.

I’d say he strolled away rather than stormed off.

3 Likes

Guess we’ll never know but it didn’t look good.

Actually he strolled slowly away across the track in just the right place to frustrate Lewis if he had managed to get the car to move backward. Max behaved like a spoilt child basically.

Best

David

1 Like

I have to agree it didn’t look good.
Sorry to say Verstappen does seem to have developed a personality issue that is loosing some supporters, but more than made up for but the fan-frenzy going on in Holland I’m sure.
That aside, personally issues doesn’t win races (does it Lewis)
My growing concern is MV’s balls to the wall get out of my way aggressive racing style, he’s a hard racer for sure, but that has boundaries & he’s gone over that line in the past & this season it seems to be back again.
The stewards got it right yesterday, but I’m not so sure he was totally blameless at Silverstone.