F1 - 2022 Season

Don’t forget to collect your poopy driver figurines….

Except that the second can lead to the first, as we saw in a number of races where an additional pitstop was made to then overtake near the end of the race on fresher tires. On the same tires, with no pitstops, I fear the running order would likely be determined in the first few laps, and than remain mostly unchanged for the remainder of the race.

Ferrari has said “mid februari”, but I guess that’s not exact and close enough before testing …

1 Like

I’m not saying you can’t pit stop.

It’s just that a lot of the races are determined by someone other than the driver. I realise it’s a team sport. But if a team winning is boring then the sport as a whole has a problem.

2 Likes

I guess the drivers could call the pitstop without team involvement. It would probably require for communication to be one way only.

1 Like

The new rules regarding aero is welcomed but a few years late. That the sport has had to have an artificial overtaking aid - DRS - to achieve the most fundamental thing in racing - overtaking, was a bit embarrassing. The engines being locked in for the next three years means whoever has the best engine now will have the best engine for the next three years. That seems a little strange.

Masi should be thrown out on his arse, preferably on a steep hill with ample amounts of cactii down either verge. There should be one panel judging if drivers have broken the rules or not, that would make it less likely of two different panels coming to two different conclusions over similar incidents.

The rule book for the race needs to be beefed up and limits put on what the race director can meddle in. Less opportunities to argue that ‘any’ doesn’t mean ‘all’.

Lastly, the final arbiter of contested decisions made by FIA employees should not be the FIA because if you mark your own homework, there’s always the risk of something dodgy going on or at the very least, a lack of trust. It’s a fundamental human right that any ultimate judge on an appealed decision should not be from one side of the argument.

1 Like

So does the token system still apply in 2022?. If the engines are frozen does that include the mgu etc.

Yes, the whole power unit, turbo, gearbox & hybrid power/regeneration system.

So no token system at all just aerodynamic upgrades

…… more or less, plus some suspension & running gear stuff. Look at my first post at the top of this thread, it’s all the changes for 2022 “in a nutshell”

Rereading your first post it seems that the only significant area of development will be aero. I do wonder whether that will just get us back to where we are now in a short while with cars unable to drive close together.

Is there anything in the regs that try to stop that? i guess it comes down to the higher upwash etc.

Yes, I did say in a nutshell.
The regs are long detailed & very specific, they’re designed to restrict add on items outside the scope of the specified underfloor, wings, wheels & other aero related items.

Of course they are.

And there are thousands of people working to find the loopholes as we type. It will be good if there are at least 3 competitive teams

Or one midfield or backmarker team flung to the front of the field in much the same way as Brawn were in 2009, by finding a loophole in the regs. Part of the excitement of that championship was wondering if the then 2 or 3 top teams could catch up and surpass the Brawn’s performance advantage. They did but by taking points off each other, Brawn managed to hold on and win against all odds.

Did Brawn help with the development of the new standard? Is that why they got their advantage? Or was that Mercedes?

Happy birthday Sir Lewis Hamilton!

I’ll be interested to see how the 2022 rear wing looks in practice. It’s hard to tell from the current concept pictures how it will incorporate the drs system as it looks quiet contiguous in design.

1 Like

Masi et Tombazis exclus de l’organigramme 2022 de la FIA

Masi not in the 2022 FIA organization.

Happy birthday Toto Wolf!

BBC News …… One senior source told BBC Sport that Mercedes had dropped their appeal against the results of the race after agreeing a quid pro quo with the FIA.

This deal was said to be that Masi and FIA head of single-seater technical matters Nikolas Tombazis would no longer be in their positions for the 2022 season.

Mercedes deny that any such deal was reached, and insist that they dropped their appeal after receiving assurances only that the issue would be treated seriously and appropriate action would be taken by the FIA.

Whatever, politics aside, Masi is gone.