F1 - 2022 Season

I think he already has it.

Technically there’s a max of 208 points to be won, with him being 93 ahead, so he doesn’t have it officially. But indeed, if my calculations are correct, he only needs to manage 3rd every single remaining race to clinch it.

In the constructors the gap is similar, but with two drivers of course easier to overcome. And Ferrari do have the better matched drivers. Although I don’t really see that happening either.

I seems that some teams have spent the break more constructively than others.

Given how down Perez was I wonder if he has the same car as Max. I expect Max to be quicker but not by this degree. Perhaps Redbull have decided they are uncatchable in the Constructors championship and it’s easier within the team if Max wins?

Ferrari seem to be losing their way and asking the driver to make tactical decisions mid race. The conversation with Charles about what he wanted to do was very odd.

I assume McLaren’s plan G was a joke.

I don’t believe in such conspiracy theories. I guess it’s either just form on the day combined with characteristics of the car and setup. Also, Verstappen had a new engine. I assume we all remember Mercedes’ rocket engine from Jeddah. Perhaps Honda is able to do something similar now?

But it could of course be something like a small fracture in the carbon fibre resulting in a less stiff chassis. Hard to detect, but can have an effect on performance.

Yes that must have made a big difference. I’d forgotten that. I was just struck by how down Perez seemed in the post-race interview.

Interesting that McLaren signed Piastri on 4th July long before they negotiated and paid off Ricciardo for 2023. Alpine doesn’t come out of it well

He’ll be under pressure at McLaren as a rookie but seems an exciting pairing

Looks like Gasley will be brought out of his contract for 23 to go to Alpine

Sad thing is Ricciardo. Looks like only options could be Williams or Haas. I suspect he might retire - we’ll see

Mercedes test driver is an option, or do I 've heard rumoured.

Stoffle or Nik ?
Let’s not forget that Stoffle was booted from McLaren after a season because he couldn’t keep up with Alonso. He, like Piastri, dominated the Jr Formula but McLaren were quick to bin him off. They did the same with K Mag too.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a McLaren fan since the 80’s, but if Piastri can’t equal Lando or show him a clean pair of heels, he will be off as quickly as he arrived.
I feel sorry for Danny Ric, when he first moved to Redbull, he bested Vettle and pushed him to Ferrari. He kept Max honest and is still the only driver to keep close, beat and really push Max, far more than Checo. He is still a top class driver but can’t gel in the McLaren for whatever reason. I’d actually like to see him in Indycar where I think he would be happy and really shine again.

So true Indycar might be a good option for Daniel, I think he’s far too good to waste on a team that hasn’t got a decent car or doesn’t offer him the right support.

2 Likes

Ricciardo

Have there been many (any) long term successful ex f1 drivers in Indycar?

My thoughts exactly. He loves the USA, has a great outgoing personality and with the parity of the cars would be able to fight for a championship. He would strengthen the worldwide viewing figures too and he is fairly universally liked.

1 Like

I think he’s already said in an interview it’s F1 or nothing for him.

Long term, no. Quite a few have gone over, won and left though.

Won a season?

Mansell

Edit, think he was a rookie 500 winner.

1 Like

That’s a shame cause I think @IainW has a good point.

1 Like

Vielleneuve, Andretti, Fittipaldi, Bourdais. JPM

I like Ricci and would like to see him in F1 a little longer. He still has a contract with Mclaren and they have said he will be helped to transition if he wants it but I don’t see Indycar as being more than a tick box for F1 drivers.

Yeah, I didn’t google and don’t follow Indycar. I stand corrected.