F1 - 2022 Season

To each their own.

1 Like

Yes. Winning his first F1 title must be a special moment for him.

4 Likes

Racing surely is better the last couple of seasons than it has been in the last decade. The only reason it was decided so early was because Ferrari made so many mistakes. I think some people are just upset their favourite driver isn’t winning.

@Collywobbles The rules are clear in retrospect. They say what the points are and when half points are awarded. It’s just that the situation is so rare (unprecedented?) that most, including RedBull, weren’t aware of the exact wording and made a wrong assumption.

1 Like

Max was going to win anyway but the rulemakers are clearly a bunch of clowns. Which is fair enough because the whole spectacle reminds me of nothing more than a contrived circus these days.

6 Likes

Ah but he didn’t win the last one. He was given it by a race director who invented the rules as he went along. But he did win this one.

7 Likes

Yeah there’s half their problem. :grin::rofl:

If the drivers, teams, spectators and broadcasters thought the rules were something else then they are not “clear”. A sport where no one is sure who has won is doing something wrong.

2 Likes

An alternate interpretation of today’s race might be that it was suspended (for a second time) when the time-clock ran out, and then could not be resumed. Hence the lower points would apply. But that’s obviously not how the rules were interpreted today.

The intent of the rules SEEMS to be that shortened races should have fewer points, but it is worded very poorly if that is the case. Rule 6.5 would be fine if there was no time-clock. Perhaps it was written before time limits for races were introduced? The failure lies with those who drafted such poorly worded rules (or who failed to update them), and not with those who had to interpret them in the heat of the moment.

3 Likes

Just read them, they’ve been posted above. It’s clear enough.
Why people weren’t aware might be that they’re new for this year. They were rewritten in the aftermath of Spa 2021. Under the previous rules it would have been half points.

Now whether what they say now is also intended or an oversight during drafting is another matter.

1 Like

Do you think the teams haven’t read them? When Max crossed the line there was no mention of him winning the title. The team said "Well done. Good race. No mention of winning the title.

Can’t we ask Masi for an verdict?

1 Like

I would assume so, but not carefully enough apparently. But perhaps you’d like to clarify which bit you think is unclear?

@Kryptos posted the clause in this post:

Do note that the whole thing is close to a 100 pages, so I doubt anyone knows it all, including all exceptions etc. by hart. Also the three hour limit only exists as of last season and the the clause above only as of the current one. And on top the circumstances also haven’t come up before.

Red Bull found to be in “minor breach” of the cost cap by the FIA

1 Like

Ridiculous isn’t it.

Break it down to basics.

Red Bull driver wins 2021 championship.
Red Bull driver wins 2022 championship.
Red Bull wins 2022 constructors championship.
Red Bull exceed budget cap.

That’s it.

3 Likes

But it was a nice change from……that is what was paramount.

Apparently Christian Horner has moved from a position of ‘there was no overspend’ to defending the extra spending on corporate hospitality and sick pay for their older, longer term staff. That’s a lot of sandwiches and sanatogen.

3 Likes

It will be an interesting few days I think. Will the FIA do something meaningful or will they brush it under the carpet with a fudge that leaves no one happy? Personally, I don’t think they can do anything to retrospectively change last year’s results now. What they could do is demote RB and Aston a place or two in this year’s constructors championship. Which would give likely give Ferrari the constructors’ championship this year. This would penalise RB financially and take away the prestige that winning it gives a team and demonstrate that the FIA is going to police the budget cap properly. Aston would also lose financially.

I do wonder, will Ottmar escape a sanction? As he was the team principal of one of the teams that breached last year’s budget cap and was party to the decisions being made that led to breaking the budget cap.

Nothing will happen. Red Bull is too powerful and the FIA is too incompetent and weak to deliver anything other than words.

Anyway I don’t think that it would have affected the 2022 championship, so I say let Verstappen enjoy his first properly won Championship.

5 Likes

Nah, it will just be a fine €€€$$$

That bit seems clear. But as you say there are 100s of other pages. I’m sure all the teams have lawyers poring over the rules. And they were still surprised.