F1 - 2023 Season

If LH is closer to the front it puts him closer to the finish. Can’t see him staying much longer at Mercedes he must be a thing of joy when it comes to morale.

3 Likes

Melbourne fantastic city in TV.

It’s good in the flesh as well. I’m a (ex) Sydney sider but always enjoy a trip to Melbourne.

Looking forward to a spicy race tomorrow with HAM P3 and ALO P4 :hot_pepper::hot_pepper::hot_pepper:

Checo: Goes out in Q1

Danny Ricc:

Checo:

2 Likes

What a stupid end to a race.

Another F1asco :grin:

Firing Massi would fix the FIA, they said. Firing Binotto would fix Ferarri, they said.

It’s past the point where I can even be bothered to watch. I just look at the post-race notes and soon won’t even bother to do that.

1 Like

Far too many circuits where a car off, or a problem, means a Red Flag rather than a SC (imho) and street circuits are becoming more common.

2 Likes

As one of the pundits observed recently, the attraction of F1 now is not primarily the racing but the theatre of the event itself (esp the US-based events!) – noting the TV viewer is generally served far better with what’s going on than those at the track.

I had friends that flew down for the race and enjoyed it. I went a few years ago and also found the race wasn’t the main attraction.

This was requested by the teams, to avoid races finishing under a safety car.

I guess they didn’t anticipate a two red flags a lap apart, the second in the second to last lap.

Discussed before, but having drs trains nullifies the spectacle. Imo I would scrap drs and just have energy boost as in push to pass either on a per lap or even per race basis. In other words driver has to decided where to use extra bhp to overtake and once used up no more. I think that would shake up the race as well as reducing costs of trick rear wings

1 Like

I’d still go for mega tight rules on wings.

Especially the front. One element, no winglets, one flat endplate, no party bits.

2 Likes

I think on a per lap basis wouldn’t solve the ‘trains’. You’d get a boost train instead.
Per race would make more sense, but I agree with @Jamiewednesday, they should further improve how close cars can follow, allowing for more old-school, slipstream, overtakes.

It’s not about the quantity of overtakes, but also the quality that’s important.

However it also seems that the DRS trains help the lower teams to be more competitive.

Just had a chortle while reading a rumour that Adrian Newey might jump ship to Merc when his contract ends this year. There is zero chance he does this, nevertheless its entertaining to hear. A Newey designed Hamilton driven Mercedes would be chef’s kiss. Or even a tie up with AM and his former Padawan, Dan Fallows - Darth Alonso approves!

Some genuine Mercedes news … James Allison & Mike Elliott are swapping back to there previous (2021) roles. Allison is now Technical Director & Elliott is Chief Technical Officer.
Its fairly obvious they need to do something, & quickly, to save something of this season. The W14 (2023 car) is just too slow, not so suprising as its more or less the same design as the 2022 car.
Question is hve they left it too late

2 Likes

Really???