F1 - 2023 Season

Interesting day in Spa. More for the off-track action than anything.

WTF is going on at Alpine? Total chaos it seems to me.

Whilst James Vowles at Williams has made a smart move of getting Pat Fry on board.

And Max has a spat on the radio with his race engineer before taking the pole but lost this due to a 5-place grid penalty due to having too many gearboxes.

Weird that it was announced today during the track programme and not earlier in the week

Riccardo still seems to be struggling with the AT car. Alonso needs a better car! :expressionless:

Which he apologized for on team radio in Q3. Perhaps not all channels broadcast that part.

If he hadn’t had the hissy fit, then he wouldn’t need to apologise. Max is a great driver and could be one of the greatest but this sort of behaviour is not helpful. His engineer dealt with it really well I thought.

And yet you constantly hear from the team how helpful he is. Perhaps again that F1 TV broadcasts more driver commentary than others cause I have heard plenty of hissy fits from the likes of Hamilton, Russel, Sainz, LeClerc and Tsunoda.

2 Likes

Storms and teacups. All drivers are in full on competition mode when driving these things and I can’t help but feel that many observers are guilty of forgetting how difficult and stressful driving an F1 car is, when from the outside all looks like a graceful (or otherwise at times) swan on the water.

Not surprising then that occasionally they comment in a stressy way when at the wheel. In fact the bigger surprise is they don’t do it more frequently imo!

3 Likes

Exactly!

What I tried to say in a “not as eloquent as you” way :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Let’s talk about ‘not my problem’ Lando after he’ shambled Max’ trophy. What a spoiled brat.

He (or his office) has corrected.

“I do want to apologise for it, it was never my intention to do such a thing,” said Norris when he spoke to the media ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix. “I know how much it means to the Hungarians and it is part of their culture and so forth. Of course I want to enjoy my time but it was never my intention to do such a thing."

“I did apologise to Max, I did make a couple of jokes about it which maybe I shouldn’t. I do feel bad, if he did it to my trophy I’d feel annoyed. I do apologise for it, to the people who put the time and effort into making it, I really didn’t mean for it to happen and I’ll be a lot more careful next time.”

From f1.com.

1 Like

Yes I know. It was clearly arranged by his office. But the real point is that if Max does something wrong and apologizes, only the first part is mentioned here. For others different rules apply.

5 Likes

They’ve excellent water in Spa

That really left a bad taste in the mouth, especially as he was being interviewed by the Sky Junior reporter at the time. He really should have set a better example.

2 Likes

Of course stoked that Max is keeping up his winning streak but damn, that Piastri guy :clap:

1 Like

I think he did in the end. Another aspect we - non profs - forget is that top level sport is a battle which pushes people very far. I think in the end it’s all not such a big deal. But you’re right. They need to be an example as we are to those around us.

2 Likes

I think it’s important to separate the act of calling your team a “bunch of c**ts” on the radio and speaking unprofessionally in the media pen. The later is worse imo

Is anyone else confused by the grid penalties on sprint weekends? I get that the change in format stopped teams taking a new engine in qualy, then hammering thru the field in the sprint to start the race at the front anyway. But, with this seasons format, why shouldn’t they take a grid penalty during the sprint race also?

Feel really bad for Alonso. He’s getting super stressed and making stupid mistakes. :expressionless:

Let’s see how Piastri does the rest of the season. I never thought he would be a Max contender. He’s got a one hell of a manager tho. ( Mark Webber )

Does everyone thinks 5 sec. penalty is a bit harsh for Hamilton?

Oscar may end Landos’ career. :grin:

Yeah I think it was a bit of a harsh call. Only reason I can think of is due to the significant damage to Perez’s car.