F1 - 2023 Season

Yeah I saw that. I did not realise that much damage done from what I thought was a minor incident. Certain I did not think it was a collision.

1 Like

Congrats to Red Bull. 1 & 2 !
Not sure what happened to McLaren today. Ricciado also was a bit of disappointment especially I thought he did better there when he was with Toro Rosso.

1 Like

This season is really boring. Red Bull might very well win every single race!

Red Bull RB19s are not only have got the pace but they are very consistent.
I am puzzled why other teams can’t quite get better cars.
Every team has their day. I hope Aston Martin gets theirs soon.

"The Dutchman won the Belgian Grand Prix for Red Bull at a canter from sixth on the grid while barely appearing to extend himself.

When he wanted to overtake Sergio Perez for the lead, he lapped two seconds faster than his Red Bull team-mate at will." BBC.

In a way I am more surprised that the cars are so close together. Even for Max’s lap where he was 2 seconds faster than Perez. That is over a 7 km track! And when you see quali how close people are. Thousands of a second over 7 kms.

I find it rather astounding that with different designs, builds and drivers that they manage this to start with.

However this may just be due to my level of understanding of the technical side of F1.

1 Like

Verstappen really, Perez doesn’t look to be too far ahead of the rest. Also, there’s plenty going on in the sub-top and midfield this season, I wouldn’t call it boring. The broadcaster seems to understand, we hardly saw Verstappen after he took the lead.

2 Likes

I was really hoping for Danny Ric to get his first points this season. There is lots going on.

2 Likes

I bet Max was bored too after having fun with all those overtake he did from the P6.

Take Aston Martin for example, in the beginning of the season Alonso was doing so well and he was loving the car.
What on earth did they do to that car???
It does not even look like the same car. As if their engineers do not know what they are doing. They should have left it alone rather than tinkering.

1 Like

They have been on record saying that the Canada upgrade sent them in the wrong direction. Apparently they have rolled that back now are are on a more appropriate upgrade path.

If anyone did this they would be at the back of the field right quick. The gains all teams bring through periodic upgrades have a material impact to lap time.

Yeah but in the case of AM, the upgrades had an opposite effect!

It worked good for McLaren!

My point is - you might be damned if you do, but you’re definitely damned if you don’t

2 Likes

Yeah agreed. Apparently there is only so much guarantee that the simulations and wind tunnel tests will work in real conditions.

This is been the case for many years now, CW, and is why I got tired of following F1. The guy in the fastest car wins (usually). I find F2 to be more entertaining (when I can catch it), and after all, that’s what it is … entertainment.

2 Likes

See that’s why I think they do not know what they are doing! A lot of guessing.
So Red Bull guessed it right and others not so much.

I figured that. What are the area they can improve aside from Aerodynamics and down force improvements?
I guess that the part of problem is a driver is not allowed to test a car in a developmental stage. How can they test the balance of a car if they can’t actually drive it on a cct. That’s a touchy feely kind of things and I do not think simulator is not good enough.

2 Likes

I actually don’t think this is true. Perez isn’t that far ahead of the rest, and while not championship material, I don’t think he’s in the slowest 50% of drivers either.

There are other drivers that wouldn’t be 2nd in that Red Bull. There just aren’t any that would be 1st :wink:

2 Likes

What do you think of Riccado’s potential?

Oh, I think there are a few who could be first. Of the older generation Alonso and Hamilton. Of the younger generation Le Clerc, Norris, Russell and Piastri and it would be really good to see Max fighting one of them in the same car.

What is bad news for fans is that RB only has one driver of championship calibre. Often the better seasons have been when the team that is dominantly faster than the rest has two drivers capable of winning a championship. Senna v Prost is one pairing, and Hamilton v Rosberg is another. Now we are left with finding out how many records Max and RB will break this year, which is not as entertaining as close racing at the front.

People seem to forget that Merc wasn’t always totally dominant during their winning streak, Ferrari at times was competitive and did have the best car but due to mistakes by the team and drivers weren’t able to sustain a challenge for the whole season. Whilst Merc always won at least there was some chance for a good part of the season that another team would win races and possibly the championship.

1 Like