F1 - 2023 Season

Yes he is driving superbly. Surely the GOAT

2 Likes

Great to see Williams competing.

2 Likes

Fantastic turn around. Albon driving well, Maybe GOAT

They were great when I was a kid / teenager so the Williams brand resonates well with me.

1 Like

At least five years to soon to realistically consider whether he is GOAT or not.

Obviously, as with any sportsperson from different times, impossible to compare past & current drivers. Very easy to forget that the 60’s & 70’s greats, such as Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart only had 10 races or so a season & were lucky to finish half of them, such was the unreliability of the cars then. Even the 80’s & 90’s greats, Prost & Senna only had a maximum of 16 races per season & about a 25% mechanical failure rate.

As for RB winning all the races this season, quite possible. No one seems to remember that Mclaren, with a car as far ahead of the rest that the RB is now, achieved 15 out of 16 in 1988 & were only deprived of a full clean sweep by a reserve driver (Schlessor?) taking out Senna in Italy with a very clumsy piece of driving.

Or even survive them. Can’t help but feel that the driving style of his formative years in F1 was such that he wouldn’t have lived to be World Champion in those days.

6 Likes

I’ve heard Jackie Stewart say a few times that he drove as slowly as he could, to ensure winning, if possible.

1 Like

First race I’ve watched start to finish, the outcome was never in doubt but the rain made it interesting. Love the track it’s like a links course.

2 Likes

Good to see the Aston in P2.

2 Likes

Goat was said tongue in cheek as I have said many times before, there are many greats and impossible to judge really as the advantages of car outway talent most of the times. Lewis had a serious car advantage for the longest time in history and made use of it most of the time but it does flatter the drivers when this is the case. Just Great to have so many great drivers on track at the same time.

2 Likes

It was an entertaining race.
Max drove a good race and deserved to win. Sadly a few teams made bad strategy calls but I don’t think it would have changed who was first, just the lower places.

Albon again got the best out of his car but I think he probably could have been higher placed but for being one of the team to make poor strategy choices.

2 Likes

Wherever Max starts, he wins. Whatever happens in the race: rain, wind, whatever, Max wins.
BORING!

Yep the secret is to eliminate the first position, ignore Max’s car.

1 Like

Ferrari are disappointing. McLaren, Mercedes and Williams have all improved to a greater or lesser degree but aside from unexpected issues crash or mechanical nothing can stop Max who is totally at one with his car - witness Sergio’s struggles

Max has also been lucky! Not one mechanical failure, not one pit stop gone wrong, no contact with another car.
I keep watching the races hoping he will get a bit of bad luck and someone else will win.
As for Sergio, what is wrong with him? He should be finishing and qualifying every race second with that car.

I think he would win every race if he started last on the grid.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Don’t forget RBR are very hot on strategy and pit stops and typically have a more aggresive stratrgy to Mercedes that has paid dividends

Also Don’t forget once Max is out in front he can turn everything down to avoid stressing engine and components so to a certain extent you make your own luck

And as Collywobbles says even if he did drop down a place or two at the start he and the car are so good he will soon get in back and he knows it!

So glad to see Alonso on the podium. High energy Race lion is back. It was so beautiful to see. He was radiating a glow after the race. :+1:

3 Likes

That’s what the tv coverage does. I’d be interested what the sponsors think who get zero tv coverage.

Many good drivers have been able to do this. Still winning races, even with apparently fragile cars or engines. Such as Jim Clark…