F1 - 2023 Season

Perez actually has the fifth most podiums on the grid and had one more podium outside of RB than Bottas had outside of Merc.

The current situation hides how good he is and especially how exceptional Max is. The car is apparently not the easiest to drive and he has constant pressure of being a team mate of the next F1 legend in his prime.

Sure, the car is the fastest on the grid but one has to look at the consistency of Max. How there were races where his lap times were consistently within a tenth of each other. Everyone outside of RB seems to say or think that if they were in Perez’s seat things would be different. The statistics at the moment tells a different story about how that may not be as easy at people say.

But sure, there would be more battle at the front with some of the names you mention. Who knows when they are going to replace Perez and what we will see then.

1 Like

Perez has always been inconsistent. On his best days he is a second level driver ( I place Alonso, Lewis, and Max as the only current premier level drivers) alongside Leclerc, Piastri, Norris, Russel which makes them all a contender for the second RB. Perez however has a major fault. He is still unable to evaluate risk on the track. He lunges where he shouldn’t, doesn’t appear to plan his overtakes, and consistently over drives the car. He is a good driver who occasionally gets lucky. I don’t see any sign of him developing this year.

2 Likes

Yeah and the pressure to perform next to Max is not doing that any good.

1 Like

I don’t think he has the potential to challenge Verstappen, but he definitely had(!) the speed and consistency to bring home the results. Is he potentially faster than Perez? Mabye. But for sure he’d be more consistent.

But it remains to be seen if he can get back to his former level. I’m not convinced he can, but I also hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

Well he could not challenge Max a few years ago and the Max was in no way the form he is now. It will be a hard slog. I think the question is more if he would result in a more consistent team mate for Max.

I think only the older generation would (at the moment) get close to him, but I don’t think they would beat him. The younger generation you mention wouldn’t. Russel doesn’t even belong in that list IMO, LeClerc is too inconsistent, Norris I think is just below that level and I’m not sure how much potential to grow there still is. Piastri I think has the potential to do so in the future as he matures, but not yet.

I agree that it would be great to see Verstappen fighting a teammate, but atm I fear that would have to be one of the older two. So Piastri is our best bet to do that in a few years. Let’s hope.

Well, they did have seasons where they were dialling back to engine or otherwise both drivers would lap the entire field. That doesn’t sound like less dominant than RB is now. As I said, Perez isn’t even that far ahead of the others.

Mostly at the end of the season when they had already shifted their focus to next years car. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same thing happening with Red Bull this season.

Delicious trolling of SF from Charles in naming his new piano piece MIA23

https://twitter.com/ClassicFM/status/1687930230143406080?s=20

Incidentally, it looks like he has re-upped for 2 more years with an option for 3 more

1 Like

Interesting, if true.

Audi being the team of his father, this could be easier to set up.

and an easy rumour to start.

2 Likes

Although I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s open to other offers considering how Ferrari has treated him. It’s pretty clear he won’t get a fair chance and only gets to drive in service of LeClerc.

Not a chance, the precedent set would then enable virtually every championship for the last 50 years back to be challenged on issues during the season. Some of them on multiple contentious points in a single season. Mind, Lewis would get his 2021 title!

2 Likes

He must be bored, or short of a few bob.

That’s 15 years ago. Isn’t there a statute of limitation in the UK?

Simply ridiculous.

The “backstop” limit in UK is 15 years. I suspect that is why now they are bringing the action.

1 Like

Dutch Grand Prix: Daniel Ricciardo to be replaced by Liam Lawson after breaking his hand Dutch Grand Prix: Daniel Ricciardo to be replaced by Liam Lawson after breaking his hand - BBC Sport
Probably out for another couple of races.

Yep stayed up to watch the 2 Aussies only to see them out in the first few minutes. Doh.

We seem to get close and exciting qualifying and then two races on the Sunday. One good one and another one with only MV in it.