F1 - 2024 Season

No.

1 Like

1 Like

it was good for Lando but what a boring race that was. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Hope Imola GP will put some mojo back in.

Glad I watched this race. Some really wholesome history being made! Lando!!

A well-deserved win for Lando.

3 Likes

Amazing to think that Lando has already raced in 11 more races than Jackie Stewart.

No to what?

The gap was 11 seconds (with Verstappen lapping faster) before the SC. Maylander then picks up Verstappen, and by the time Norris gets to pit the gap is 31-32 seconds. So he gets to pit and retain the lead, which would have been unlikely had he been picked up instead of Verstappen.

Although it’s of course very possible Norris would have won regardless, he did manage to build a 7s gap afterwards. And as I said, I’m happy to see him finally get his win and multiple cars fighting for it.

I think we agree a different result can only be good for the (so-called) sport, but the gains of a safety car period are fundamentally unfair to the likes of a race leader who has built up a decent cushion. Unfortunately, it seems this now features in the planning for some teams, especially on the circuits where overtaking is very limited (DRS driven) and collisions are highly likely.

The stewards also took very generous views of some of the incidents IMV. It appears it is the rights of drivers not to concede nowadays, even when another is shovelled off the track.

I thought Magnusssen was well ‘out of order’ yesterday and again today. I know he’s had plentiful points added to his licence, but the punishment isn’t fitting his crimes to my eyes. Dumping a Williams in the barriers is the last thing they need.

3 Likes

Whilst it may turn out to be nothing more than a curiosity in Verstappen’s year of dominance, there is a sparkle of hope (however faint), that this could be the beginning of the falling from grace of Red Bull with the Horner controversy; AN walking away from the team; and mucho noise from team Verstappen’s camp. Not a happy family just now and I wonder if any of that off the race track shenanigans may be causing cracks on track. Head suggests the former, heart would in part welcome the latter!

Peter

Think there is, once again, more noise in the media than in reality. In reality it will take a long while for the effect of AN to show in the car itself, there is a solid technical team still, if any. And Verstappen has shown time and again that things off track does not affect what he does on track.

Frankly I would prefer other teams to catch and match RBR than rely on a Milton Keynes exodus and a crumbling team.

5 Likes

All teams go through a high and low cycle, Merc are at the bottom of their trough of despair at the moment as are Williams, some rise and get out of it reasonably quickly others like Williams stay for a while, McLaren were there but are very much on the rise, if they continue their progress then they will be RB’s biggest threat in the forthcoming races.

I for one would be happy to see good competitive racing between RB, McL and Ferrari, Merc may get there later this year but not immediately. Whether RB fall from grace in 2025 is debatable, they have a well organised team and the departure of Newey whilst not the best news isn’t the end of the world, it is more likely to be the new rule implementation in 2026 that will determine whether RB can carry the success onwards.

2 Likes

Gotta say I like this screenshot:

5 Likes

Lando: “finally!”
Max: “you’ve made a powerful enemy today young man”

1 Like

“Yep, smile now young Padawan, soon we will show you the power of The Dark Side…”

2 Likes

Which after all is “a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural”.

So all makes sense :sweat_smile:

1 Like

As others have said, it would be a sad day for F1 if it would have to rely on a team unraveling instead of other teams’ technical innovation.

Let’s hope RedBull remains as strong as ever and other teams simply catching up as perhaps already looks to be happening.

4 Likes

Max: “Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Hamilton the wise?”

“It’s not a story a team powered by a Mercedes Engine would tell you.”

1 Like

Teams are definitely improving this year, getting closer to RB, and as we have seen in Miami if RB cannot get a car to work properly then others will be there to say our car works fine here and take victories away.

All of which makes the racing more enjoyable, unless you’re a Max or RB fan.

Max will be World Champion again this year but it will not be the walk over he had in the last two seasons.

2 Likes

Not unless, I would say. I’m a Verstappen fan, but prefer a hard fought win. Which means a loss should also be in the cards

4 Likes