F1 - 2024 Season

Firstly, well done George he is doing a stand-out job at Mercedes.

I agree Max does not have to behave as he does but he has some of Schumacher’s traits in that he would rather crash if he can’t win and anything he does is fair if it keeps the other guy behind him.

Still, all good racing drivers are selfish and singularly focused on how to win. This does not always make for a nice personality or sense of fair play. Max is very focused on what he needs to do and undeniably is a very good and successful driver.

2 Likes

I think you’re in the minority there! And the stewards disagree too…

3 Likes

I doubt it. Max came fifth and his nearest rival (and next one in Leclerc) did not finish in the points. So, from that point of view a good result.

You weren’t watching the race properly then. He constantly broke the “no changing direction under braking” rule, including when he crashed Norris out. And he was given a 10 second penalty for that.

Anyway there will be lots of commentary about this before the next race.

2 Likes

No doubt Max will fget a cheery wave from the locals at the next race.

1 Like

Senna had some of these traits as well. Max was not going to let Norris past today by any means, end of.

1 Like

Not entirely. The stewards say mv is largely at fault, but not entirely.

Max learnt a lot from his run ins with Lewis.

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I agree to my perception mv was perhaps too aggressive. However: he probably didn’t move under braking. Brake first, release, move. He found another loophole. An aggressive one, but legal. Also: LN did dive bomb a couple of times. Aggressive from the both of them, MV rightly penalized for being mostly at fault for the crash.

Not easy to try and stay neutral in all of this.

2 Likes

Well I was wrong wasn’t I? I thought it was particularly bad that after the crash he tried to force Lando off the track to prevent him overtaking him on his way back to the pits. Although also particularly bad the way he tried to force Lando off the track which resulted in the collision

It looked like Max’s 10s penalty had no effect cos the next person was more than 10s behind him

1 Like

I seem to recall Verstappen’s main overtaking move being dive bombing and driving into the other car … so a bit rich of him to criticise Norris for it

2 Likes

He didn’t, he said he recognized it because he remembered doing it himself in the same corner.

I am not surprised if he gets booed from the crowd at the Silverstone. I take it Brits are generally anti Max?

Um, a few years ago I think it was mixed to say the least.

But over the last two or three years, since he’s grown up, he’s been accepted and I’ve heard no boos at all.

However, the leopard/spots thing yesterday has revealed him to still have a bit of the petulant bully about him. And no-one likes a bully!

Especially so when it’s Lando who gets bullied, who is pretty mush everyone’s favourite. Driving a McLaren, which is everyone’s 2nd favourite team.

2 Likes

Maclaren are not my second favourite team, on a good day they might reach 3rd or 4th and Andrea’s measured and insightful comments yesterday made it a good day. Besides that, I agree with you.

Not everyone in the UK will be anti-max although supporters of Lando Norris will feel bad just now. Being for your favourite driver and against someone who thwarts them is universal. When Hamilton was winning everything like Max has done the last couple of years he was booed outside of the UK at different venues.

I do not think that was proof everyone outside of the UK was anti-Hamilton.

1 Like

Lewis seemed to be well liked

:wink:

2 Likes

Lando is waaaay more universally popular than Lewis ever was!

2 Likes

He’s nearly at Nigel level then.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Verstappen is 100% at fault for the accident!
He is a supremely gifted driver, but a thug on the racetrack.

6 Likes