Factory Tour

Does this raise any alarm bells regarding Wi-Fi security. If someone who is not a member of the company has access to a device with access to so many Wi-Fi networks what could they potentially access?

Just wondering out loud as it may well be perfectly ok, just sounds a bit off.

No I don’t think it was you just a complicated network.

1 Like

You have to have your phone MAC address added to the system to be able to use WiFi in the factory; and there are multiple networks. I could stream to the muso next to me, but couldn’t fiddle with anything in r&d or the dem room. I think there might be a basic guest one for visitors to give internet access only, nothing internal.
Don’t worry the system in place (with ruckus enterprise waps) is robust/secure.

1 Like

I blaim the NAIM APP :rofl::rofl:.

2 Likes

for those of those of us who were unable to be there it would be great to get some actual feedback on the tour itself…what did you get to see, overall impressions, what did you get to listen to? etc etc

1 Like

Lots of Nait 50 on the assembly line, lots of new classics in various stages and a well organised workplace. We won’t allowed into the R&D area so there’s not much to add regarding anything “new”. However the fact we won’t indicates there’s obviously stuff in various forms of development.

Staff were helpful happy and it appeared well trained.

2 Likes

No security issues. They were different music networks - factory and offices, and the one dedicated to the dem room.

I will try and give you a feel, without writing an essay …

We went through all departments apart from the previously mentioned R&D and the office. We saw Goods In, wiring, testing, assembly of modular elements, robot / camera checking of assembly, Statement assembly, returns for repair, soak testing, what happened to rejected items and recycling / testing of components that have been out to shows etc. and finally packing / dispatch.

We also spent a good period in the Dem room, chatting with Steve Sells, and listening to the 200 series. There were a lot of Focal speakers ‘on display’ around the factory.

Apart from the technical explanations I mentioned above the thing that struck me was the lengths Naim go to to ensure consistency. Most people know that there are photos and open top exemplars of perfect construction but they have added scrolling IT based images of construction stages, scanning of different elements, in-house built test rigs for components and modules and rigorous construction - individual wires of uniform length, same amount of wire stripped and consistent tinning of the wires - fanatical would be the phrase.

I hadn’t appreciated that most circuit boards are made externally with surface components while ‘through hole’ components, wires and individual components are added by hand. Anything made offsite is tested when it comes into the factory and only used when it matches well established standards.

All in all, this adds up to the long term reliability most of our Hi Fi exhibits and for me, fully justifies the price charged - it is as far away from mass production as I imagine it is possible to be without being a cottage industry. No wonder it lasts for years.

Hope this helps!

19 Likes

Thanks

These are ordered in like that. Pre cut to correct lengths and stripped at the ends.

Stripped further at one end than other - to indicate in which direction it should be soldered.

I recall, say, the leads to and from the volume had short ends on circuit board and long on potentiometer (or, frankly, vice versa). I wondered out loud if perhaps the directions should be opposite for TO and for FROM.

Before I forget, there were also quite a few of CD5SI’s around. Guestimate would be 10 being soaktested and 10 more in parts (cd drawers etc).

Didn’t expect it but apparently its still going strong.

3 Likes

I thought - perhaps wrongly - that Naim had more or less moved on from production of CD players.

Same here. I assume that many people want a cd-player in case of they want to spin a disk and have it as a secondary or even tertiary source after streaming / vinyl.

I agree, and most people will have built up extensive collections of CDs, and may soon have nothing (from Naim, at least) to play them on.

…apart from Core plus ND5XS2 or NDX2 or ND555.

Perhaps it was modernising designs to use SMDs, needing a wave soldering machine, as well as wanting to increase production capacity, that led them to do this. Presumably they are made in the place discussed here:

1 Like

Yes, they had been doing some excellent SMD board work for Naim, hence why it was decided to partner with them to provide the extra capacity needed.

1 Like

Yes, I am giving serious thought to one to go with my ordered Nait 50 .

When my Nait 50 is delivered one will be brought for me to have a listen , my greatest audio urge is to minimise box count . As far as the audio rack is concerned , my CDX2.2 (digital output only) will be retired , and it will then be Turntable, Nait 50 and CD player , I have an old CD player but my first point of call is a Naim CD5si

Ian

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.