Fascinating Maps and diagrams

Map of monasteries dissolved in the 1530’s on the instruction of Henry VIII.

13 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

This is the sort of map I appreciate.

5 Likes

Didn’t G-M Scallion predict that most of these changes to the world map would have occurred by around 2012…

I don’t know, but I gather he has revised his pre but the map reminded me of something similar for the Bristol Channel that the Hydraulic Research Station, Wallingford, did follow on from their map of the river Thames.

I take most predictions with a pinch of salt, as far as time scales go, but I find the revised geomorphology interesting.

1 Like

Nice.
Reminds me of the early Air Force flight simulators!

IMG_0616

4 Likes

Those WW1 trench maps are remarkably accurate. I have an app which overlays trench maps with satellite images. You can be standing, say, on the Somme in a field and pinpoint your position perfectly. It’s a great tool for mentally rebuilding the battlefields while standing on a bare ploughed field. Photo of trench map just for illustrative purposes! It just happens to be the area that Sassoon earned his MC in 1916.

6 Likes

Ooh. What app is that? I saw one website that did it, but it relied on its own store of tench maps - so I couldn’t use the one where grandad was located.

I was able to narrow it down manually by cross referencing roads etc, so managed to visit the general area this year. Looks much nicer than in

1917 !

4 Likes

Hi Si, it’s called LinesMan. It uses Memory-map and can be bought as a stand alone product or pre loaded onto a tablet. Google and you will find!

I think forum rules allow a link to a review Si.

1 Like

Perfect. Many thanks

That’s like a larger scale version of this that I had when I was about 10

4 Likes

4 Likes

Sea floor spreading in action! Makes you realise how transitory our world is.

3 Likes

Now here’s a museum I wish I had visited when living in town (London Transport Museum).

5 Likes

7 Likes

Britain has gone to the dogs ?

13 Likes

So true

6 Likes