Fascinating Maps and diagrams

I assume that’s a round trip?

2 Likes

A lost continent between Africa and Europe has been identified by geologists.

https://www.science.org/content/article/geologists-uncover-history-lost-continent-buried-beneath-europe?utm_medium=ownedSocial&utm_campaign=NewsfromScience&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR174TVRuxNCc73hmbXcUh3DJXr2HnERyylALizorg_3LYHllQJ_B2L7Rmo_aem_ATRKp8rNzoJOJeImWCPw1_my9SSgi_f2nhT0CXERnsIwRBlUecnWutseVxPc00nNy1o

'For starters, Greater Adria had a violent, complicated history, notes Douwe van Hinsbergen, a geologist at Utrecht University in the Netherlands. ’

He presented the Geology Segment that was part of ITV4’s Tour de France coverage. Great presenter but it does make me wonder, are there only a small handful of geologists?

2 Likes

No, there are many thousands of geologists working worldwide in industry, government and research on diverse topics related to natural resources (minerals, hydrocarbons, water), natural hazards (earthquakes, volcanoes, flooding, etc), environmental protection, pollution, planetary evolution, etc, etc.

Not sure why you think there aren’t many around? We’d be in dire straits without them - everything used by mankind is either grown or comes out of a hole in the ground!

2 Likes

It was more that he is the only one I could name and he appears again in another article.

Interesting link between subjective and objective view of wind.

2 Likes

Not that I live in Somerset, but having driven through it without blinking, I am intrigued by these connections.

3 Likes

Just don’t get off at midsummer. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

There is a connection between Priddy and Wookey, but it’s a bit wet.

There is an extensive cave system at Priddy called Swindon’s Hole which carries a stream eventually emerging at Wookey.

Many years ago someone placed a reflective road sign at the entrance to the first sump in Swindon’s that read “Wookey Hole 1.5 miles avoiding town centre”.

No one has yet managed the full trip. I only got to sump 3, free diving. That was quite far enough.

4 Likes

Swildons round trip was enough for me. I much preferred Yorkshire’s verical caves.

1 Like

Having been born and lived in Somerset, i can confirm that Wellington is definitely the end of the line.

2 Likes

Not been to Bridgie then?

Haha. Unfortunately yes. It’s better now than it was. Although best avoided during carnival season. I.e. now !

1 Like

That almost gives me a panic attack just thinking about it :scream:

Topography of South America.

7 Likes

9 Likes

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/z7DAeSicvTpKcStVRVhnNZ-1920-80.jpeg.webp

Fascinating

1 Like

Apparently some can’t differentiate between Australia and Austria

5 Likes

Jeez, it’s so difficult to get perspective on land mass size

1 Like