Faulty Naim Uniti Nova Blew Up my Kanta Nº 2 speaker, help on what to do next

Back in the line, after me please.

Hello guys, so after such a long time i’m please to finally say this has been resolved. I already got both Kantas working 100% again and back to their former glory. It’s been a long journey, now it’s time to enjoy my system again.

P.S. Even though i quite enjoy the Kantas and the uniti nova i am saving up to upgrade to the scala utopia evo in the future, but i still have a long way to go to be able to afford them :stuck_out_tongue:

28 Likes

Really glad to hear it. What a long journey you’ve been on with this. Enjoy your set up!

2 Likes

What a journey… Great that it turned out well in the end. Enjoy! :clap:

1 Like

Congratulations. What a journey!

Something has happened to another nova, I do wonder if a link will be found between the two Nova Exploded this morning!Literallly! though the good news is this time the speakers involved seem ok

1 Like

Actually it seems 3 Nova’s now. Reported on the Naim forum.

I wonder if there is a fault in some component that are defective on a specific model of the naim line. Naim should look into this because one could burst into real flames and create a real fire on an home. And the losses will be priceless for the user.

Gear should not destroy other gear, never had in my life an issue like this, and for the price naim gear charges things like this should never happen.

I have had since I could remember ten or elevem amps in my life, even more cd players and speakers, a lot of dac’s, and none of them produced noise, burst into flames or broke any other gear, maybe I was lucky.

With Naim got some issues with an NDX2, out of the box received a defective atom he, and I am praying my supernait don’t burn my sopra n1 or my home. In two years I was more without my naim gear waiting for repairs than in my lifetime with other gear.

Naim sounds good, but if the experience becomes a nightmare, there are more things that also sound good and do not make you feel at some point in time something will make smoke or explode.

2 Likes

When a company like Apple has an issue, there is imidiatly a lot of noise, antena gate, bend gate, Samsung a battery gate, it,s a gate for everything bad, the company normally stays silent until the noise is too much, Samsung note seven busted into flames and was recalled and cancelled.

I do not see any gates in áudio like a Nova Gate, Denon Gate, PS Audio Gate. Buy one amp explode two speakers gate.

Maybe @NeilS or @Richard.Dane can advise us Nova owners if we should have the units in standby, “deep sleep” or completely off?

Completely off if unattended would seem to be wise

3 Likes

If that is transistors, capacitors or resistors contained within the Naim metal box, and voice coils in speakers, I think the risk of fire is extremely small despite the alarming smoke. Maybe different if it is something else, perhaps on the power supply side. But certainly I would expect multiple - and we know of three - apparently identical incidents warrants investigation by Naim and if some common fault then at least a warning would be issued to all owners, if not some modification or recall. If anyone affected is concerned about this or similar issues, with any product, and the manufacturer not give some indication that they are following through then it might be appropriate to report to the relevant consumer safety authorities in the area purchased for them to follow up, but I suggest first ask Naim (in this case) directly.

I’ve have mine in standby, though inadvertently had it in server mode for years, which meant that it would never cool down. Off course, it’s not covered in the manual, but then, there is no manual……

1 Like

I would like nothing more than to keep my Nova in standby as I will now have to wait for it to boot up and then my Naim app to find it before I listen.
But I’m not taking the risk.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have one, if I had to power it off all the time to be safe.

1 Like

Definitely food for thought!

In Naim’s defence Samsung/apple sell a lot more products a lot quicker so I imagine any problems have lots of incidents soon after launch which help them narrow things down quickly. Also even though I own an iPhone I will point out apple claimed bend gate and antenna gate were the users fault initially and Samsung took its sweet time with the note 7 until there were too many cases of exploding to ignore. I would hope once aware of all 3 incidents naim engineers will be interested in investigating any cross over.

My first Nova went up in smoke about an hour into owning it, smoke poured out of the back and a burning smell was really strong.
I contacted Naim who told me to contact the dealer who swapped it over with a replacement and that one has been faultless.
Didn’t ever get any feedback as to what the issue was or how common it was.
This was in 2018, and as I said my replacement has been faultless.

2 Likes

For the record, the exact same problem as the OP occurred with my very first uniti Atom. I was lucky as the speakers connected were very high power rated and I think I caught it quick which avoided damage. The amp went back and was replaced by the dealer.

2 Likes

I think one event that happens from time to time is alarming, at least like this one, two events makes you think, tree is something to be talking about how widespread the issue could be.

And this are from the people that post in the forum, many users go directly to the dealer and never post here. These issues are in the last twelve months.

In my case the system was a significant investment to see it burn by a faulty device and have to deal with the repair of one or more items of different brands that could be damaged.

Not talking having to be without your system for months and have a lot of stress with it.

This should be investigated.

1 Like