Favorite Bach solo violin sonatas and partitas

Please list your favorite recording of J.S.Bach’s Violin Sonatas & Partitas
My favorite; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Fh0DvqQy4&loop=0
I still prefer his first recording over his second.
Here are forum member Thomas’ favorites;

3 Likes

Rachel Podger for me:

Recorded from 97-99 in the Netherlands, though not released until 2002 for some reason.

Mark

3 Likes

I like that one too.

Does the Cello Suite transcribed for violin count. Stunning hires recording also.

Phil

5 Likes

These two recordings are remarkable, with both stunning performances and wonderful sound quality (I used these to demo my ND5 XS2). For what its worth, I’ve enjoyed pretty much every recording of hers that I’ve heard. I also was lucky enough to see her live a few months ago (Beethoven Piano & Violin Sonatas) with Alex Melnikov.

9 Likes

@Thomas recommended Helene Schmitt which I have enjoyed.

Phil

3 Likes

Here are the versions I have and enjoy.

5 Likes

Hélène Schmitt is indeed an amazing violinist.
Her interpretation of Biber’s Rosary Sonatas is outstanding.
I’m lucky to have been able to download it in HiRes during the short period it was available on Qobuz.
Sorry for the digression…

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree on the Isabelle Faust and Rachel Podger. Two others, which are both brilliant, are these.

3 Likes

My current version is the Itzhak Perlman one, but many years ago when I had a turntable it was the Oscar Shumsky 3 LP boxed set issued in 1979. According to Discogs this is available from the Musical Heritage Society MHS 4032/33/34.

2 Likes

This is another favourite of mine. She recorded the ‘other three’ about 20 years previously.

5 Likes

Nice recording, but perhaps a bit too much vibrato to my taste. But she has an outstanding technique. I tend to prefer the slightly more baroque Christian Tetzlaff’s version.

Have you tried the Alina Ibragimova? She uses very little vibrato. Some consider her paying austere but I think she is brilliant. Great to see live too.

No. I have to try it. Thanks!

Try the John Holloway too. Very different.

1 Like

That one is a rather interesting interpretation.
And the recording quality is fabulous!

2 Likes

Nigel North and his Bach on a Lute series I find very enjoyable (and well recorded).

5 Likes

Excellent choice - good Linn recordings too

I’m playing the Hilary Hahn now, and having read your post earlier my first thought was, wow, so much vibrato! But it’s a lovely performance and sound, and it’s great to have so many options. That was my biggest surprise when I discovered Bach - how the interpretations can be so different it can sound like totally different music.

1 Like

I have those and while they are god they are a bit, well, dull I suppose. I much prefer Hopkinson Smith’s recordings on Astrée.

1 Like