Favorite Bach solo violin sonatas and partitas

It’s all about my mood: HS sometimes, North others, or indeed Avital’s mandolin.

Can you say a little more about the latter please? It sounds interesting.

I was introduced to this chap by an American friend who is teaching himself mandolin as a retirement hobby (he travels with it too). Here is what Roon has to say, along with a photo of one of his albums.

1 Like

Recorded in January 1995 at Mastersound, Astoria, Queens, NYC for Bridge Records.
Fulkerson playing his 1774 Guadagnini…

1 Like

I have and love the Grumiaux. (CD rip, didn’t know it was now available in 96/24.) Amazing to think this is now nearly 60 years old as it doesn’t sound dated at least to me. For a while the historically-informed performance brigade were very much in the ascendency and Grumiaux and performers of that era were somewhat overlooked. But his magisterial playing explores the depths of Bach’s compositions so effectively that I’m not surprised it is still one of the top choices.

However, I think I must now look out for a good period instrument performance where Huggett and Podger seem to be favourites. The key for me will be how they play the Ciaccona from the second partita, so some interesting listening ahead.

Roger

2 Likes

I’m surprised no one’s mentioned Viktoria Mullova’s recording.

Incidentally, am I the only one who deplores the demise of Gramophone’s Classical Music Guide?
I can understand why it was phased out, but the online equivalent is nowhere near as convenient.

4 Likes

I love the Nigel North version as well

1 Like

When it is Rachel Podger playing I will make an exception!!! :grinning:
She is fantastic and the recording quality is sublime.[quote=“Filipe, post:4, topic:6759, full:true”]

Does the Cello Suite transcribed for violin count. Stunning hires recording also.

Phil
[/quote]

2 Likes

This was the recording that many many ears ago made me fall in love with Bach’s solo works.

3 Likes

London 1954
CD on Profil, originally recorded by EMI

Amazing performances! Very much in the “old school” tradition. Plenty of Rush-n-Drag ala Bruno Walter, Furtwangler, etc. SQ is wonderful…have we made recording improvements since the 50’s?

2 Likes

I often feel the same way. A great deal of the microphones used today were invented in the '50 and further more they recorded straight to tape. Giving very recording that beautifull tape saturation.

1 Like

Very good question indeed… I have a number of Everest records mastered on 35 mm film that have amazing dynamics and such a realistic sound. Then I listen to early digital crap and I wonder, “did they REALLY think they were making things better?”

Claude

3 Likes

I listen to a lot of Jazz as well, and except for a few of the modern ultra high resolution recordings available, jazz never sounded better than in 1959.

2 Likes

i really like this >>

1 Like

Then there is this …

1 Like

There are two very nice sets that are recently reissued on vinyl.

Analogphonic reissued Nathan Milstein’s Capitol mono recordings of the 50s, and DG Classics reissued his DG stereo recordings from the 70s. I haven’t decided entirely which I like better but currently feel the earlier Capitol recordings get the edge so far.

ACAP_43130__144172__07092019122459-6886

ADGR_4836926__142693__04262019013431-8239

6 Likes

And when I want to hear another great recording I turn to Henryk Szeryng. DG Classics did a wonderful reissue on vinyl, and it is still available.

ADGR_4798524__137197__08032018114335-122

2 Likes

I really would love to find a great vinyl copy of the Grumiaux set.

2 Likes

Thank you. I have a recital by Milstein which has a performance of the Chaconne from Partita No. 2 which I feel is unsurpassable, I’ll pick those sets up if still available.
Edited to add I also have the DG set on Cd already, I’ve Now ordered the vinyl as well. Thanks.

1 Like

Have seen my favorite ones,

Isabelle Faust - raw intense
Nathan Milstein - buttery soft and rounded

1 Like