Favorite Bach solo violin sonatas and partitas

Following this discussion, I listened a couple of the already mentioned interpretations. I prefer Isabelle Faust the better. It is really sharp and direct, almost surgically precise.

Try Alina Ibragimova’s recording too. It’s quite brilliant.

thanks. that is tonight assignment.

Another to seek out is the recording by John Holloway on ECM, and the versions by Hilary Hahn. Both are very fine indeed, and very different from each other.

Thanks. I’ll check them out.

The one I find myself returning to all the time is Viktoria Mullova, IMHO one of the best

Claude

1 Like

I first heard those works in concert when I was in my twenties, played by Sandor Vegh - I bought the box set soon after. Does anyone remember him or the Vegh Quartet?

1 Like

Yes, for Vegh Quartet

Their Beethoven String Quartet cycle, along with the Quartetto Italiano on Philips are my two complete cycles on vinyl. Love them both.

2 Likes

While I had the camera handy, these are all my vinyl copies of the violin solo partitas and sonatas, along with what I have of the lute works and cello suites.

The missing artists on the spines for the cello suites are Pierre Fournier on Archiv and Anner Bylsma on RCA.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Nice. I would like to have that set. I’ll bet it’s hard to find.

A very interesting interpretation, and nicely recorded!

5 Likes

I had no idea it was hard to find: I’ve just found one on ebay, and the price is absolutely shocking… I think I’ll hang on to mine.

A lot of eBay sellers have inflated conceptions of value. I’ve found that sets that are overpriced like that can eventually be found for reasonable prices if one is patient enough.

1 Like

Lots of vibrato but my grand mother played this all the time so…sweet memories…

Impressive and hardly any vibrato!

2 Likes

Parfait .

I’m quite new to the classical genre, but this record has my mind blown. The sound is so good and the playing seemingly very fresh and lively with our being over the top. The orchestra stands back and really lets her shine. This my current gold standard and I’m looking for more like this. RoonShareImage-637391350311407370

4 Likes

In my view she is just wonderful, and a mesmerising live performer. She has done a wide range of recordings, those with Cédric Tiberghien on Hyperion being particularly good.

3 Likes

I think she played the solo sonatas and partitas at the Proms a few years ago? I remember being very impressed at the time.