Favorite Bach solo violin sonatas and partitas

Slightly off topic, but relevant to the violinist of the moment. Ibragimova has also recorded the complete Mozart violin sonatas on five Hyperion discs, with Tiberghien as pianist. Strongly recommended and beautifully recorded - as you’d expect from Hyperion. No doubt my post reinforcing the earlier post from HH, which I have just seen.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Just purchased her Bach album talked about above (vs the Qobuz 44/16 I’ve been listening to) and the first volume of the Mozart sonatas in 96/24 download. I’m hooked.

Superb!

2 Likes

Also be sure to check out her Chiaroscuro Quartet. No Bach, but Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Schubert, etc. All very good.

Will do. thanks.

And the Franck violin sonata, with Cédric Tiberghien again.

Viktoria Mullova’s first recording of the partitas remains well worth listening to - an austere and unadorned interpretation that for some reason is also very moving. I prefer it over her second recording of these works, with the sonatas, for Onyx.

Cheers
EJ

2 Likes

I only have the second version and I like it very much, I’ll try and get this one

Claude

Will check it out. Thanks!

The cheap way (I’m cheap) of getting the original Mullova Partitas is to buy this twofer.

You will get her Bach concertos thrown in too :smile:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.