Favourite concept album

I think I have so many favourite concept albums, I can’t keep up. Favourites would be the Marillion duo Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws, later followed by Brave. Several of the more obscure Eloy albums of old, Power and Passion / Dawn, and the duo of Planets and Time to Turn. The Wall goes without saying as it came out when I was at high school and saw it on the big screen in a cinema clouded with hash smoke…

Current favourites are the recent Anathema albums which all seem to have a theme going on, and Hand.Cannot.Erase by Steven Wilson which is a modern progressive rock classic and Wilson is a recording fanatic, so all his recordings are top quality and make for good system work outs.

2 Likes

Anything by Roger Waters, but Amused To Death would be my choice
Pink Floyd - The Wall mentioned many times
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2

The Who Sells Out
Dark Side of the Moon
The Court of the Crimson King
Frank Zappa Uncle Meat

2 Likes

Here’s another great one from Zappa

4 Likes

One that I’m surprised hasn’t been mentioned yet:

Wishbone Ash: Argus
The interplay of the Gibson and Fender guitars is wonderful.

One that I’m not surprised hasn’t been mentioned yet:

Michael Moorcock & the Deep Fix: the New Worlds Fair:

2 Likes

The Amory Wars series of albums by Coheed and Cambria, and Rockpommel’s Land by Grobschnitt.

Stainless Style by Neon Neon. About the life and times of John Delorean.

71rMBwiVQfL.AC_SX466

Nice to see Deep Fix mentioned, a fine prog/psychedelic/folk rock outfit. Did you see that MM finally released another DF album at the end of last year.
I never saw them on their rare live outings, but did see Moorcock with the mighty ‘Wind several times.

Lou Reed and John Cale, Songs For Drella, based on Velvet Underground’s relationship with Andy Warhol.

4 Likes

Purely for the oddnes of the subject matter, David Byrne and Fatboy Slim: Here Lies Love.

51yQqstnBAL.SY400

Music inspired by the ex first lady of the Philippines. So bizarre that 2 years after it was released, a musical was made around it. I think I spun this one every day for a month when I got it.

Kitsch doesn’t even come close to describing it.

1 Like

She was famous for the amount of shoes she owned and I think The Beatles pissed her off as well

This is my favorite concept album.
Superb music as well as sound.

"With the Suite; The Old Man and the Sea, the new ensemble Batik, presents them self, with a piece of music, that vividly brings to life Ernest Hemingway’s classic tale of the old fisherman. Batik has composed and improvised a dramatic story telling SoundScape around the key elements of the novel. You can read the novella on line here,http://centralschools.org/~shs/OWThe_Old_Man_and_the_Sea.pdf it is a unique experience reading the book and hearing the gorgeous Batik compositions at the same time’’:

Blockquote

https://www.soundliaison.com/

I love concept albums as they are a favorite concept in progressive rock… I have attached a couple of the best ones (to my ears)

And I could also add other albums of Pain of Salvation and Spock’s Beards Snow

7 Likes

Days of Future Past. The first concept album to hit the shelves, beating The Who Sell Out by a couple of weeks. Still my favourite and still played regularly. In my little universe, The Lamb comes in second - or at least parts of it. A laborious toot pulling project from most accounts, and it sounds like it in places.

I don’t classify Pepper as a concept album. It’s a diverse collection of songs about different things with a narrator stringing it along- a bit like the Stones’ Big Rock n’ Roll Circus.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say favourite, but I’m fond of this;

And this was a recent one that I’m liking;

And of course…

3 Likes

I’m curious… did you go for the DSD, DXD, or flac file version?

Lots of good ones listed already.

May I add:
Supertramp - Crime of the Century

and in a jazz vein:
Coltrane - A Love Supreme

3 Likes

Interesting that Tubular Balls hasn’t yet had a mention

G

3 Likes

tbh I see several albums mentioned which, don’t get me wrong, are darn fine albums but not what I would describe as concept. ‘Concept’, to me, should be an album with a common thread or story to tell.