Favourite Drummers

Ed Warby, for VuuR, Ayreon, Gorefest.

1 Like
2 Likes

When I went to see Shania Twain in concert last year I was very impressed with her drummer, Elijah Wood:

My favourite drummer is probably Clem Burke of Blondie, though:

1 Like

From the ones I have seen live:

Lars Ulrich
Cozy Powell
Dave Grohl
Taylor Hawkins

Lucky enough to se Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones and Seasick Steve jam.

1 Like

Chad Smith

3 Likes
2 Likes

When I posted before, I knew someone was missing. I’ve worked through all the links and worked it out, a man who showed all the verve, speed and showmanship. What he also used was silence, subtlety and variety. Jon Hiseman!

2 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

Mitch Mitchell in the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
E.g. on Rainy Day…

3 Likes

As I expected people pick their favorite drummer from their favorite band to the extent that Ringo Star is an understated, underrated genius to Beatles fans.

One of my favorite drummers Keith Moon was so unorthodox he probably could have not played in any other band or with any other bassist.

So like every thing else to do with music it’s all down to personal taste but trying to be objective who is really most skillful.

Are Jazz drummers who have to improvise so much the most skillful or maybe drummers like tabla player Zakir Hussein above who can create music and song after song using drums as the main instrument are best?

Or is it The understated like Charlie Watts who quietly pull the whole thing together who are the most skillful?

Or what about Evelyn Glennie to deaf, virtuoso multi percussionist? One thing is for sure a good drummer will always get those feet tapping.

1 Like

See where you’re coming from, Bob, but nowhere can I see the word ‘genius’ in this thread applied to Mr Starkey! I’ve told you a million times you should not exaggerate :joy::rofl:

I had the opportunity to work as a photographer in music studios in the '80s. I noticed a drum computer from Linn electronics, which has a high recognition value due to its sound.

LinnDrum

2 Likes

Not a conventional drums but the sound on the DVD was impressive as the performance.

1 Like

Christian Vander - Magma

The only drummer I have even seen playing a melody on the drums.

steve

3 Likes

And of course as well Gavin…

3 Likes

I nominate Billy Cobham. Gentle rain to a thunderstorm in a drumbeat.

2 Likes

John Densmore - The Doors.

Never overplayed, never solo-ed. But everything he did accented, drove and underpinned the music and lyrics.
Perfect.

4 Likes