Favourite Drummers

I did say I’d be in the minority so need for all you Led Zep or Beatles groupies to gel your knickers in a twist. The world would be exceptionally boring if we all liked the same things.

2 Likes

No worries, Bob, and of course you’re right, in that it’s all down to our differing tastes … and as a matter of fact, I’m with you on this … never could see what all the fuss was about the lads from Liverpool.

There, I’ve said it.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

There, it didn’t take long for the little barbs to appear!

As the thread is titled " Favourite drummers" I will list mine and leave the views of their respective talents to others.Obviously the list is drawn heavily from the artists I listen to regularly and as @timmo1341 hints at it is more how they play for the song.Still they can lay down a groove when called upon.
Ringo Starr, Charlie Watts, Jim Gordon, Jim Keltner, Stevie Wonder, Steve Gadd, Simon Kirke and Prince.

1 Like

Timmo , Ringo’s almost uniqueness comes from the fact that he plays a right-handed drum kit left handed, this can make some of his fill unorthodox and aids his style

3 Likes

Of course, how could I have overlooked Charlie Watts?

Another vastly underrated drummer, who’s “behind the beat” technique lends The Stones their unique sound.

Funnily enough, both he and Ginger Baker, whom I mentioned earlier, come from a jazz background, and Ginger was once quoted as saying, with his usual modesty, that only he and Charlie played with any swing.

3 Likes

Afternoon Dave, thought Charlie might have have been first on your list :grinning:
As a massive Clapton fan I have always appreciated Ginger Baker’s playing, but sometimes he’s a bit busy for me.But then he was in a band of three soloists.Charlie for me, still going strong live ,too :+1:

2 Likes

Dave Weckl…, subtile but very good…

3 Likes

Ian Paice I also like a lot…

6 Likes

Mike Mangini of course also needs to be mentioned here…

3 Likes

Bill Bruford,Carl Palmer,Gavin Harrison deserve a mention.

3 Likes

My favorites are the usual suspects, Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. I’m old enough to have seen them live on the same stage in San Diego.

1 Like

14 Likes

The drum trio in the current King Crimson line up, and then if I had to choose just one of them, Gavin Harrison.

2 Likes

羅小白 S White. Not the best in the world technically but boy does she put her heart into it. Pity she doesn’t play / practice as much any more.

Try copying this into a youtube for more of the same: 20140703 羅小白

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. I’ll work my way through it.
From what I have seen so far, she has a real talent. I wonder why everything seems to have gone quiet about 5 years ago.

1 Like

My favourite is Mark Brzezicki lucky to have seen him played live many times. Awesome drummer.

2 Likes

A 12 yo one

3 Likes

This is the one. Saw him several times and couldn’t fathom how the hell he did what he did. So far ahead of the rest, it’s unreal.