Finally managed to update my old Uniti 1

Well, I’ve finally done it. I bought an RS232 cable and updated my aged Uniti, the original version.

I couldn’t get my RS232 cable to work with my Mac. My partner’s windows laptop came to the rescue and it was surprisingly easy.

It seems that my old Uniti lives to fight another day.

11 Likes

7 Likes

Very happy to hear of your solution on that one.

Hope you won’t mind me joining this thread to raise another issue about the Uniti-1?

Recently, the screen failed on a 2014 ex-dem Uniti that I bought from Witch Hat and then gave to a good friend.

On his behalf I contacted WH, who said they could only do Uniti-2 screen upgrades. The same came from Audio-T in Oxford, who have been terrific with me in the past. John at Audio-T eventually told me Naim have no stock of replacement screens for the Uniti-1.

However, I found a source in France, and have now received it, to be fitted by me.

I’ve just opened up the Uniti-1 case, following instructions in a pdf Manual supplied with the screen. I am now told to remove one of the screws holding the transformer in order to facilitate access to the back of the screen, then to remove a number of further screws and cut off tiny bits of some thin metal rods holding the old screen in place.

I can manage this, but find that the transformer screw and at least four of the holding screws at the back of the screen are round. I don’t have a tool for tackling this.

Can someone kindly advise what type of scres these are? The Uniti transformer platform is marked ‘Issue 6’.

Skyebridge

BTW, I will also be upgrading the Uniti-1 to run off the Focal-Naim App. However, my friend is not content with that ‘workaround’ and wants the screen to be replaced!

Skyebridge

You can’t discuss DIY here.

However arn’t like all screws round, what do you mean?

The most sensible option would be to send it back to Naim, and include the screen for them to fit. It would appear that the screen you obtained was ‘new old stock’.

I had my screen replaced about five years ago and I also had the 24-bit upgrade done at the same time. Naim will still do this, and upgrade the firmware to the latest version. This allows it to play HLS streams in HD and gives 24-bit capability.

I believe that Salisbury can’t do a screen update unless the streamer/Uniti already has a 192/24 board because they are out of stock and see no way to get more in stock.

But overseas may be different.

I would ask Naim for clarification on this. The info we had from them here was that the 24/192 streaming board upgrade was no longer available, and that without this it was impossible to fit a new screen. Of course the situation may have changed since then, but there are plenty of 1st gen Unitis that have a 24/192 board.

I read here recently that the processor for the 192/24 boards is end of life and won’t become available from the manufacturer again.

It looks like I got in and had mine upgraded just in time. I really do hope to get at least another decade out of my old Uniti.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion here, but Audio-T told me that they had confirmed with Naim that the Uniti-1 in question does not have the 24/192 board fitted, and can no longer be upgraded.

Considering that I spent £1500 buying this, I don’t feel pleased with the ‘Support’.

It seems my only options are via the Focal-Naim App (but my friend does not want this), or to find a way of fitting the Uniti-1 replacement screen that I sourced from France.

The issue I’ve currently got with that is shifting the Transformer aside so as to access the screws holding the ‘dead’ screen in position.

Skyebridge

Is it possible that these are Torx screws? The drivers are sort of round looking with five small spines in a star pattern to actually turn the screw (clearly you can’t have just a round driver!) and are often used in electronic equipment and computers (and car headlights). Worth looking really closely at the screws and checking on the internet to see if that’s what you need.

Looks like torx 10 - they are hexagonal. You might get away with a flat screwdriver but a proper torx tool would be best.

IMG_5630

It’s hard to see in the image when I zoom in, but those look more like he needs a set of small Allen keys, which are indeed hexagonal… Torx have little “spines” but Allen are simple hexagons. Either way, a set of small drivers is an inexpensive and useful investment for sure.

Edit to add: my previous comment referenced the Torx “star 5” variant; Torx are indeed six spines… apologies!

deffo torx.

Good eyes!! Nice to solve it

1 Like

Tbh I’ve used both drivers in both bolts before if one was a little worn and I doubt they are very tight.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.