Firmware update v. 3.7.0

Having invested in an Uniti Atom and 3 Muso Qbs (which, I believe, are now being referred-to as 1st generation), it’s galling to see that my Qbs are, again, apparently going to miss-out on the equivalent new functionality of 3.7. As a big Tidal user, I would have enjoyed the new benefits. Is there really no way of getting any new features on 1st gen Qbs? Or updating/migrating them? It was a big investment in Naim kit, not long before 2nd generation was announced, and it’s distressing to see that my expensive Qbs now appear to be obsolete.

Hello and welcome to the Forums @DazzyGill . I’m sure we can help you here.

First and foremost, your Mu-so Qb speakers are far from ‘obselete’ - they still do everything and more they did when you bought them. I own and enjoy a Qb 1 myself - fabulous thing that I expect to be enjoying for years to come. You’ll get a firmware update next week with some fixes and improvements, too.

However, It is not technically possible to update legacy products with TIDAL Connect functionality. TIDAL Connect requires a Linux operating system, which the legacy products are unable to run. This is in TIDAL’s hands, not ours.

Finally, as you have a Uniti Atom that can run TIDAL Connect, you can use it as a master device and stream to your 3 Mu-so Qb speakers via the Naim App. So you could stream from TIDAL App to your Atom, then multiroom to your Mu-sos (just select that via the Naim App). You could then mute the Atom and still enjoy - and control - everything from the TIDAL App on your Mu-so Qbs.

6 Likes

I think I remember a similar report somewhere else.
Are you using the latest version of the app as well?

I know that the maximum for Naim-playlists are 500 tracks.

I do

Hope i hv the same experience as u. Gonna try out later.

Very many thanks for a speedy, helpful (and optimistic!) reply. I do very much still enjoy the Qbs, and the Atom, just a tad perturbed that new features seem to be passing them by. The Tidal functionality on the Naim app is a little limited compared with the Tidal app - I can use the Tidal app with Chromecast via the Atom, but not my Qb1 devices. So the concept of using Tidal Connect via the 3.7 firmware update appeared attractive. Your suggestion to use Tidal Connect on the Atom and then ‘broadcast’ to the Qbs appears to be a good compromise. I’ll try it out. Many thanks again.

1 Like

I tried to install a firmware update on my ND5XS2 last night.

I got the same iPad Naim app error messages as you: ‘Streamer not responding. Device failed to respond’ with ‘Try again’ and ‘OK’ options.

But in my case the ND5XS2 showed (and still shows today) a red LED light – solid red, not flashing.

And now the green Naim logo light does not come on.

The green Naim logo light did come on again for a moment when I unplugged the ND5XS2 and replugged it in, but then when the red LED light came on again the Naim logo went dark again.

The press-able ‘standby’ button on the ND5XS2 is flashing green.

The LEDs on the Ethernet port at the back are solid green and flashing orange.

I’ve logged it with Naim support - ticket number 478167 - but just had that as an automated message.

The system still works fine off my Samsung TV – which is my only other source, that goes via optical cable to my Naim DAC.

I have plugged the PlusNet router directly into the ND5XS2 via a long Cat5e ethernet cable, bypassing my switches.

I did try resetting the router after that, but it did not help.

I also switched off the entire 7-box Naim system, and waited, then switched them on again, but it did not help.

I cannot remember which firmware version I had beforehand and don’t know how to check this as the Naim app isn’t connecting.

I have not tried resetting the ND5XS2 with the reset button at the back as I’m not sure which button it is, or if there is one? Should I do this?

What else can I do? Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks
Jim

It seems that 250 tracks is the new limit for playlists.

Is it a new Naim- or Qobuz-limit?

Hi Jim. Firstly, i’ve flagged your ticket number up to the Support team, who’ll get back to you as soon as they can. In the meantime, they suggest trying this reset:

2 Likes

I don’t know the answer to that one, but @tomvamos may!

Brilliant - many thanks, Clare.

I will do this when I get home tonight.

Jim

1 Like

Thankfully the reboot worked for my NDX2.
Hope the reset works for you albeit it is frustrating.

1 Like

I have nothing - ND5XS2 isn’t connecting at all. Doesn’t recognise firmware update. Not happy, sat here in silence.

Shouldn’t have to put it back to factory reset and lose favourites and presets!!! Why aren’t these upgrades proved before it is send out!!

Firstly, sincerely sorry to hear you’re having issues. But I can assure you, we have a rigourous beta-test programme, including testing software releases on all relevant products, in a range of set-ups.

However, there are so many separate elements in a typical music-streaming system; it only takes one element to have a wobble and there can be issues. That’s the same for all network-connected products, it’s not exclusive to Naim.

Once again, you have every sympathy here. Assuming you’ve tried more basic resets (eg full power down and power up of your Naim and control devices)?

If you have with no joy, i’m afraid the reset is next step. Please let us know if the reset works, or if we can help in any other way.

1 Like

Look above, try the factory reset.

Should we do a factory reset after every FW update? I did the FW update on my NDX2 and i do not see any possibility to play Tidal connect. It is not seen in Tidal app nor Naim app.

You shouldn’t have to do a factory reset after every Firmware update, no - the overwhelming majority of users update without issues, and any problems experienced tend to be more easily solved (eg a simple power up/down of both the Naim device and Apps).

A few points: are you running the latest version of the Naim App (.22 releases for iOS and Android)? That may seem unrelated, but is important.

Secondly, TIDAL Connect only works through the TIDAL App - that’s the whole point. Here’s how to use it:

1. In the TIDAL app, open the “Now Playing” screen while playing a song.
  2. On the “Now Playing” screen, look for the speaker icon
  3. Choose your TIDAL Connect enabled device - in your case your NDX 2- from the list. It’s that simple.
1 Like

Reinstalling of the Tidal app helped :metal:

2 Likes