First turntable…

I’d forget that thought.
A good turntable will sound different to any streamer.
If budget isn’t limited, the best I’ve heard is a Vertere.
I expect a Rega Naia and a well fitted LP12 could do the trick.
A Technics 1200G is another candidate with unlimited cash.

First deck ?
Then I’d hesitate going straight to flagship players.
If you have any records or want to buy new vinyl,? risk is it might hit you not being for you.
In that case maybe start with a Rega P3 or a Technics plug and play entrylevel.
We all are different places.

1 Like

I don’t think Graham Slee does a single box phono stage that offers MM and MC. They do make the Accession, that comes in MM or MC versions. Despite occasional rumours I’m pretty sure there isn’t a current model that offers switchable MM/MC. The Reflex and Gram Amp also both come in MM or MC versions.

The Accession MM sounds great!

3 Likes

My mistake, thank you for clarifying. I used to have the reflex M (can’t believe I sold it) and I’ve heard so many good things about the Accession that I guess I just assumed it did everything.
When I do finally break down and get a turntable again I’ll get the Accession. Glad to hear you really like it.

2 Likes

Also get the PSU1-Enigma, it may be the last phono stage purchase you’ll ever make.

2 Likes

Yes, for sure. I had the PSU one with the wonderful reflex M I used to have. The enigma must be a new and improved power supply, must be awesome with the Accession.
GSP are amazing products especially for the price.

1 Like

I doubt anyone will offer better advice.

1 Like

Different because in nearly all cases digital can only be an approximation of the original analog recording.
Even if recorded digitally, it’s only an approximation of the signal from the instrument or microphone.
Having said that, I think there is a place for all sources.

1 Like

A TT is not only sentimental… but you will be impressed how wonderful it sounds even for less money than a streamer.
Lp12 is a good start - also rega.
An old Thorens is also very good. Keep in mind, that cart and phono pre will be needed. Stageline will do - or even build in phono pre. When it comes to carts I am a big Benz fan :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Why ‘nearly all’?

Was about to say something similar. Be prepared for a shock: if care is taken in selection and setup, how vinyl replay can very much more than justify its cost when compared to digital.

3 Likes

Because some music must be digital from source, ie, nothing vibrating to produce a signal.

Had this shock in 2020 and again in 2023 when I bought the ND555 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you thinking virtual instruments, or synthesisers, or… ?

I’ve just a Roksan Attessa “plug n play” TT new for £399. They were £995 and get good reviews at that price.

This could be a good stepping stone. Buy some vinyl and see how I get on?

If I fall in love, the better TT will be on the list from Santa in a year or so :joy:

2 Likes

The Roksan Attessa was the TT that reintroduced me to vinyl, superb sounding TT with everything built in that you need to get you started. I can’t praise it enough and it’s even better when the price is reduced!!

1 Like

Well the Roksan TT turned up and we are away. Lovely sound, though very different to the streamer.

It sort of reminds me of my old Nait5 and CD5. It didn’t have the detail, but had a lovely warmth and presentation to it.

Time to play some more of my old man’s records…

4 Likes

Why bother with a TT? Do you really think that anyone will want to go through the faff of removing from sleeve, wiping, putting on platter, starting up, lowering stylus - getting up moments later to turn the album over? It’s not going to happen.

If they are into music, why not go along with their preferred source and perhaps create a playlist?

Alternatively, write them a letter referencing the recordings you want them to hear and allow them the freedom to seek them out in whichever way they wish?

Not everyone in our families will appreciate listening in great quality. In my case, my son and daughter (both in their mid thirties) claim they cannot notice any difference from my car stereo to my 300 series!
My Grandsons, 10 and 7, have no interest in music unless it accompanies a video game!

The same is true for vision - no-one shares my passion for my LG65 G3 OLED and they could easily watch on their phones!

1 Like

Well, in answer to the first set of questions: lots of people are happy with all of these ‘compromises’.
I have to say, if people cannot tell the difference between your car stereo and your Naim set up, then there’s something very wrong somewhere.

2 Likes

The only thing that matters is whether you can hear a difference between your car stereo and your home set up.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong - not everyone shares our passion.