FlatCap XS

Hi Gary, that may be correct, but RD will confirm.

Until this week, when I sold my turntable, my XS has been powering a stageline and a NAT05XS

Skyebridge, it was long time ago. I bought Nait5 And CD5 somewhere is 2000. Later bought Flatcap2, which could be connected to amplifier and CD player. When two connected at the same time it was hardly any improvement. Connecting to one, amplifier or CDP, gave really good improvement, although different. I did prefer connecting to amplifier.
Look what Gary is saying, it could be that later Naim changed (improved&) Flatcap2 giving two outputs with 24V and called it Flatcap2X, but have had no experience with it.
About 2004 I moved pre/power combination so no experience anymore with FC

Actually the 22V was optimised for the CD5 from the beginning.

3 Likes

G’day Skyebridge,

I use my FCXS to power my CD5 XS and Nait XS 2 amplifier. To answer your question, I hope. I have a pdf file of for the connections for a Nait XS2. From the drawings it would appear that one and I hope I have this right.

One can connect Power Out B to a Stageline and Signal Out D to the AV in/out of the Nait XS2.

Then one can connect Signal Out A of the FC to the Power Amplifier IN of the Nait XS2 amplifier. Then connect Power Out A to the Pre amp out of the XS2 amplifier.

There is no mention of what can be connected to Sig Out B and Sig out C.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Correct Gary. On the original Flatcap2, Power Out B was 22V and optimised for powering the analogue output stage of the CD5.

1 Like

Hello, this is interesting for me. Just involved in the Naim World and have a NAC-152XS and a NAP-200. Thinking of the Flatcap XS, is it Worth it? I read many people not like the Flatcap but prefered the Hicap.

Very worthwhie, particularly with the 152XS as you can use both 24V outputs to power both psu upgrade sockets. You will need to budget for an additional Snaic however. I’d not bother with a Hicap in your case as the Flatcap XS is tailor made for your set.

4 Likes

I would agree with Gary, I use FlatcapXS with 152XS/200 in second system (both supplies) and whilst I didn’t bother just using the 200 as I already had the Flatcap it is an excellent system. Better than my Nait XS2/FlatcapXS and better than Nait/Flatcap/ 200 which I did try. Personally I think it is a shame Naim dropped the XS separate range.

2 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts and experience. I Will start searching for a Flatcap XS :+1:

2 Likes

Great yes I agree. I heard that Naim wanted to decrease the amount of products due to make capacity in factory?

My experience with a Flatcap XS was not so positive. I have a 152xs/155xs combo that was in storage for about a year, when I recently put it back in my system, I decided to remove the Flatcap XS and gained a much more natural sound. Without the separate power supply I get wonderfully natural tone/touch/timbre, very good dynamics, a nice 3D soundstage, and good momentum/PRaT. I was never able to achieve this with the added Flatcap XS.

I had purchased the Flatcap used…perhaps I bought a “lemon” or was it in need of a service? Not sure, but with the Flatcap the sound was unnaturally “steely” and thin-sounding for my taste. Yes, the bass was a bit tighter but I didn’t think it sounded natural to my ears.

Currently I’m really enjoying the 152/155xs without the additional power supply…A very underrated combination IMO.

btw – A quick shout-out to @Christopher_M who indirectly convinced me to take the 152/155 out of storage…thanks for sharing all your 152/155 enthusiasm! :wink:

1 Like

That’s surprising Todd. I’ve had good experiences with the Flatcap 2 on a CD5 and Nait 5, also a Flatcap 2X on a Nait XS, however i’ve never owned the XS version of the Flatcap.

Thanks Todd, that’s good of you! Our pre-powers are undimmed in my eyes! I too like the 152XS/155XS bare. My comment is that when I have the FCXS on upgrade 1 it just has that bit more fitness. The digital edge of CD disappears, if you will.

Best, Chris

Edit: And as @GaryYeowell and @nitrous say, the FCXS can be used on both upgrades of the NAC152XS. I mention this in case you haven’t tried it.

1 Like

I don’t wish to deviate us too far from the Flatcap XS topic but one thing that was said about the NAP155XS when it was introduced was that the power supply to the preamp was improved upon earlier models, such as the 150x and the 150. So it seems possible @ToddHarris that this explains why you find the FCXS doesn’t do much for you.

1 Like

Yes, that was just my next question; what does this 2 upgrades do with NAC-152XS? Is it better with both upgrades into Flatcap or is it enough with upgrade 1 and from Flatcap to NAP-200? I will only use my ND5XS2 to the NAC-152.

In my experience, both outputs of the FCXS on the NAC152XS makes it really super. More scale, depth, you are more involved. I have a NAP155XS though. It’s possible that the supply in your NAP200 is so superior that putting the FCXS only on upgrade 1 of the preamp is preferable. You would just have to borrow another Snaic 5 and try it. Please let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

yes, I think I will do so. If I use 1 upgrade from NAC152 do I supply NAP-200 from NAC152 or Flatcap?

Signal goes through the Flat cap. 5 pin from Flatcap to 152 (banded end), 4 pin from Flatcap (banded end) to 200.

1 Like

Upgrade 1 from FCXS. Upgrade 2 as per Guinnless, above.

Edit: @nitrous has said that he is using that configuration, also above, but a few posts up.