FlatCap XS

Very interesting thread and thanks for positive endorsements from current and former 152/155 (or similar) owners. I certainly enjoy my setup but given the relatively modest costs for a Flatcap XS in the s/h market it looks like it’s worth a dabble.

@Hifirydis - Looks like we are going to be in competition!

1 Like

I have a question, I just picked up a nac 202 with napsc ps and ordered a nap 200dr. I have a flat cap2. I used to use with XS2. Would I benefit from the flat cap or since the nap 200 has dr would it be better just to run without until I can afford hi cap dr?

More FC2x (ab)use.
I bought a used one to go with a CD5x I was using with a Rega Cursa/Maia combo. After auditioning a 202/200 I decided I would aim higher but get there in stages.The FC2x proved to be enough to get me going with a 282, still using the Maia power amp and two Naim Lavender Din to single RCA cables. Next to be added was a superline, to the AUX2 of the 282, I was getting a fair bit out of the little FC by now. I tried various configurations:
Removing the CD5x and powering the 282 from both output of the FC, this improved focus but at the cost of scale.
Powering the superline and 282 from directly one output each… less fluidity.
The original CD5x and 282 with the superline on AUX2 was what lasted until I bought a hicap, which came after an Aro and before a 250-2. The FC went with the CD5x when I sold it on after getting a CDX2.

It’s a case of trying it, especially as you have all the equipment. The benefit of the 200DR over the 200 is the DR power supply for a preamp. If you plan to add a Hicap DR you may as well get a used 200 and save a wodge of cash. You could get a Hicap DR and 200 for about the price of a 200DR.

From what I read on the forum, if you use the FC2, then your pre won’t get the benefit of the DR tech which is built into the NAP200DR for that exact purpose.

So basically, with your NAC202, NAPSC and NAP200DR your amplification is sorted. Enjoy your music.

C.

Do you use a 4-pin Snaic from FC to 200 then?

That’s correct. It’s all shown in the manuals.

Kind of bummed right now, I found out Wednesday that the 200dr is out of stock and they can’t tell me when it might ship😔

Do you still have the Nait XS2? If so, you can use that as a power amp in the meantime.

No, I traded XS2 in on nova and now traded nova for 200dr. I have a marantz receiver to listen to music until it finally arrives. It’s just disappointing. Was really looking forward to having it by now. But I’ll have to be patient.

I have got my Flatcap XS now! I will try to describe my experiences with it; My Naim equipment is; NAP-200, NAC-152XS, ND5-XS2 and Flatcap XS with 2 snaic to the 152XS.
I experience is; more focus and better stereoimage, especially in the depth. A little bit more detailed presentation, I here more detail. The bass is more dynamic with more punch and I feel that it is more power now than before.
This is interesting because the first 2 weeks before I got the ND5 streamer and NAC-152 I used the Atom as a preamplifier to the NAP-200, it was really good with dynamic and bass. When I connected the 152 to the NAP I did have the feeling that the bass was`nt that powerful. So my conclusion is that the Flatcap does make a difference in all aspects and I think and hope I would pass a blindtest. Best regards

5 Likes

Then your next move could be to add a Hicap🤔

Is it possible to use the flatcap 2x on the cd5?

Dont think so. The cd5, 5i and 5si don’t have the facility.
If you want that, you’d need a cd5x or cd5xs.

Yes, you can use the Flatcap 2x with a CD5.

1 Like

What is the story on the 22v vs 24v?

The CD5 and the Flatcap 2 were both developed together (along with the NAC112, NAIT 5, NAP150) and it was felt that the 22V worked slightly better with the analogue output stage of the CD5 compared to 24V. However, 24V will work just fine, so you need not worry about that.

3 Likes

Stand corrected. Thanks.

1 Like

The above diagram is how I have mine at the moment. CD5 is run from power out A.
All sounds good to me👍

Hello All,

I’m really pleased this thread has generated so much attention and interesting information.

The main conclusion I have drawn is that the FlatCap XS is a really versatile Naim product, which offers many more options than the traditional SNAPS, and one or two at which it is really adaptable, particularly with the CD5 & variants. However, it is not a mighty powerhouse to be used in the same way as a HiCap.

Since this thread began, I’ve had one of my two FlatCap XS serviced. Since it’s return it has been giving a definite boost to my Nat-05XS.

I’m considering whether to also use the same machine to power a Prefix supporting my Garrard-401.

Skyebridge

1 Like