Focal Sopra 2

Release the mullet, be free!

2 Likes

At this stage balanced is not my aim.
The last thing to be upgraded will be the Nova.
I would rather buy things to keep but canā€™t afford to buy them all at once. Next year will see new speaker cables and the following year the source.
I have always worked this way. Itā€™s not the normal way but itā€™s the way I prefer.

1 Like

That is not a bad way to work and could be cheaper in the long run, as you skip some interim upgrades.

You just have to be prepared for some wildly unbalanced systems along the way.

As you will be going source next, we need to invent a name for a system with a great source and speakers, but relatively weak amplification.

A dumbbell?

3 Likes

I might look for a better all in one or possibly add a power amp to the Nova. Not really thought that far ahead yet.

Enjoy the Sopras.
They didnā€™t suit me or my room, but I got glimpses of how very good they could be. First with a Nova and then my current set up.
Contrary to you I moved to Sonus Faber and much prefer the tonal balance and aesthetics.
If one size fit all weā€™d all have very similar systems and this forum would be somewhat mundane.

1 Like

My opinion is that rather than rules about what should go with what, I feel it is all about synergy and enjoyment. As long as YOU feel that your system has synergy, and it is satisfying to YOU when you sit down to listen, then thatā€™s all that matters.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a cable lifter

1 Like

No speaker just works in an untreated room. It is basic physics

2 Likes

:popcorn:

2 Likes

I was a bit tongue in cheek, as uk people say. Donā€™t take it seriously. For a definitive system it would be a problem, but if itā€™s just a step, I understand you completely.

1 Like

Of course speakers can work happily without room treatment, if by that you mean room treatment as in technical stuff you can buy specifically, rather than the usual carpets, rugs, sofa, curtains etc. Iā€™ve no doubt that treatment may be required to get certain speakers optimised for certain rooms, but to suggest itā€™s universally necessary is nonsense. Iā€™ve never found a ported speaker that works in my room, but Iā€™ve owned various models that work brilliantly with no special treatment - Linn Kan and Kaber, Naim nSat, IBL, SBL, SL2 and now the ProAcs. All are sealed boxes, or in the case of SBLs and SL2s, effectively sealed. If people choose their speakers well and have a room thatā€™s a good shape for sound, no treatment should be needed.

6 Likes

How speakers interact with a room can make all the difference of course. A more expensive speaker could easily sound an awful lot worse if that room synergy isnā€™t there.

G

2 Likes

Absolutely agree, there is no right or wrong.
As long as you listen to lots of options and buy what suits your ears best then that is the right choice.

Absolutely, it can

2 Likes

Congratulations on your new spekers i have a pair of focal sopra 2 and i they are very details speaker i have mine 4 feet from front wall to front baffle with toe-in and 80 inches apart tweeter 2 tweeted. Hope this helps when finding final placement.

1 Like

Well done, as @NigelB says the T505s and the Nova put in a brilliant performance at the Bristol Show a little while back and I subsequently heard them with the T606s and it was equally impressive so no reason why the Sopra pairing wonā€™t work just as well.

Enjoy the groove, and it will groove!

2 Likes

I think mine are positioned very similarly.
I have them resting on their bases at the moment so they are easier to move. I want to get the positioning right before the Townshend Podiums arrive as they will be difficult to move when they are installed.

Indeed, the groove is in attendance.
Itā€™s always fun to try different and sometimes unbalanced pairings.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a disconnect here: You are loving them to bits yet the system is ā€˜unbalancedā€™. I donā€™t get it.

I remember Naim doing a demo at the Bristol Show one year with a Nova and Sopra 2 speakers. Sounded mighty fine to me at the time.

3 Likes