Football season 2022 - 2023

Jimmy Johnstone scored 4 goals for Scotland. Four. 4.

Jimmy Krankie probably scored more…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Jinky wasn’t just about the goals, Wugged my old china. But you already knew that. He played for Scotland only 23 times because the SFA couldn’t pack the team with Celtic players, especially not back then. He also got 129 goals for the Hoops in 515 appearances. Not bad for a winger. Celtic fans usually consider him our greatest player ever, and we’ve had a few good 'uns over the years.

Anyway, play nice, you b4gger. I was backing you up about Greavsie.

4 Likes

Jimmy Greaves was a Chelsea player first…Funnily enough scored on his debut. Against Spuds.

1 Like

Hah ! Yeh fair comment :grin:

Just couldn’t resist the Krankie comparison.
You know, similar height :joy:

1 Like

But then he saw the light… :grin:

Only because he didn’t like pasta

Naw. Wee Jimmy Krankie was about a foot taller.

1 Like

:grinning: lol

Some supporters can’t afford the ridiculous ticket prices unfortunately

What I see is
Two United players in the top 5 ( soon to be 3)
Jimmy Greaves has an amazing strike rate
Sir Bobby has a staggering return- for a midfield player
Lineker should have more - given he never strayed too far from his goal hanging role
All of the others contribute to the overall team play

The sports reporter on the Today programme on the radio has just been talking about Kane needing one more England goal to become the all-time top scorer. He mentioned Kane in the context of ‘Rooney, Charlton and Lineker’. I took umbrage on your behalf and considered dropping them a line!

1 Like

Yeh. As we would say in sunny Donny…

“He wor a rait goal-lagger” !

But surely Lineker has retired, hasn’t he ?

:grin:

1 Like

Chapeau ! :smiley:

1 Like

Will anyone ever beat this strike rate in international football?

Ferenc Puskás 84 goals from 85 caps

2 Likes

Rubbish. He obviously didn’t score in one game.

1 Like

I’d say t’s not “some”. It’s “most” really. The reality is that football will always find a paying audience but let’s not be in any doubt about who we are. The idea it remains somehow a game of the working class is risible.

I’m a season ticket holder at a non-league club. There are three EPL clubs where you can currently pay less for a season ticket. Totting up my costs for a match, which includes a hundred mile round trip on public transport (on a good day an hour on a bus and seventy five minutes on two trains plus some walking) includes rail fares; lunch; programme; half time snack (as in stadium is outrageously priced) plus something to tide me over heading home and sometimes an evening meal if the family are otherwise engaged - it’s kind of terrifying.

February we played every Saturday and Tuesday. I’m kind of glad the cough got me. Had I gone to every home game amongst those and the one local away game I’d be about £350 down. That’s just about doable but the season ticket is up for renewal so that’s the same again. You have to be reasonably well off to even follow non-league teams now.

Arguing that the majority of people who don’t present in person are somehow different is simultaneously an important distinction to make (for reasons which have apparently escaped every single one of us so far) but not that important when the real distinction, as has now been twice observed, is money is at best a tad tone deaf.

1 Like

I’ve been supporting my team since 1973 when my Dad 1st took me to a game. Since then I’ve been to hundreds of games home and away and also had season tickets for at least 2 decades on and off. When I’ve worked and lived away I’ve not gone to matches. When I’ve been skint I’ve not renewed my season ticket and just gone to the odd game. I struggled to get to games when I worked shifts. Currently I look after my elderly father and the best time for this to fit in with work is weekends and weekday evenings. This means I can’t go to matches in person but I can stream the games.

Despite this I’m still an avid supporter and massive fan!!!

3 Likes

Some clubs do charge eye-watering prices for tickets, and that’s if you can get them! But not all. My club, Portsmouth in League One, has had reasonable prices for several years now. For me, adult son, and grandson, all three tickets cost a total of £49. I think that’s pretty good. Of course, that’s only one part cost of the game: for me there’s a 140 mile round trip drive, sandwiches, a pint and dinner after the game, but the club are responsible for those.

1 Like

I’m assuming your team is Kirkcaldy’s finest.