Football season 2022 - 2023

Outrageous bit of skill!

2 Likes

Started slowly, but held the Swedish girls at bay until that superb Lucy Bronze-Dame Beth Mead link up! And after Lucy’s second (which I missed coz I’d gone to the loo), it was mostly one-way traffic. Outrageous third goal by Alessia Russo :laughing: . Fran Kirby’s goal was “merely” the icing on the cake.

But one must also give credit to Mary Earps in goal: two great saves in the first half, and a “how the h3ll did she get back for that one!” in the second!

Looking forward to tomorrow’s game.

1 Like

That’s 12-0 over the Scandinavians who traditionally are very strong.

Norway got a complete shock and realised football has moved on, the Norwegian Manager took most of the blame and was sacked immediately after. By the look on the Swedish managers face at the end of this game, he was also a little in shock.

Quite a demolishing by England.

2 Likes

My family and I will be there (we live about 10 miles away), including my “football, what’s that all about?” son.

1 Like

That’s hoping that the rest of the German team haven’t gone down with the dreaded “Covid”!

Daughter1 has got it. Hopefully she’ll recover by next week when she is due back home for Daughter2’s birthday and her pater’s** ‘birthday experience Punjabi cookery class’!

**me

1 Like

An outrageous bit of skill for the third goal :goal_net:.

Also huge determination behind it, that would have put many Premiership players to shame.

I was waiting for the bit when they exchanged shirts at the end of the game ( only joking Richard )

2 Likes

Having watched the last couple of England games and a few highlights from the competition, the skill levels have certainly come on leaps and bounds since the last games I watched a few years ago.

Back then I thought there were a few skilful players with good footballing minds but a lot of ‘keen’ players too, it felt a bit like like watching schools football with half the team chasing the ball around the field, most corner kicks didn’t reach the six yard box and there was a lot of timidness in tackles.

Frankly, if everyone was honest with themselves, there is still clearly quite a bit of that but certainly far less now and the current not good bits are better than the old not good bits. And both full games I’ve watched have been very entertaining, which as a spectator is what it’s all about right? Some dodgy keepers mind.

2 Likes

Hope you all remain CV19 free and Daughter Number 1 makes a smooth recovery

Thanks.

Daughter1 will be doing regular tests for the next few days, and will not come if there are problems. Almost certainly an “end-of-term” pressie from one of her ‘little dahlings’. She’s already given it to her partner. Thankfully, everyone is jabbed up to the eyeballs - my wife has had four already, and has been told she is down to get another in September.

Back to the footy, it looks like Germany’s Kiara Buhl’s tournament is over.

1 Like

I have been impressed by the skill level shown by a lot of the tournament players, particularly some of the English women.

The areas they appear, to me, to be a long way behind the men are:-

1 Physical speed & power. Not a lot they can do here of course & the lack of both seems to contribute to more open play & goalmouth incident compared to the average male game.

2 Almost without exception, weak/poor goalkeeping.

Concerning my second point, this leads to far more goals than in the men’s game. Most keepers seem particularly poor in catching crosses cleanly. The plus side of this is there seem to be many more dangerous crosses in each game where male keepers gather the majority in their games & noticeably reduce the threat crosses present.

My wife made the valid comment (I thought) that the female keepers all appear to be much the same height as the other players & therefore have more height & reach difficulties reaching crosses. Modern male keepers are often taller than most of their defenders & the oppositions attack & are thus able to dominate high balls.

As modern male keepers are much taller that their counterparts of 50/60 years ago (because we are all taller generally), I have often thought that goal posts should be, perhaps, a foot wider & 6 inches higher, making it a bit easier to score & therefore adding excitement to every (male) game. After all, it would be the same for everyone.

Eagles!

I see that Norwich are being very consistent if nothing else :laughing:

Just back on the opening day. I’ve missed the crowd mingling, the noise, the weak referee, the dirty time-wasting opposition - shouted myself hoarse. Decent game though and just under 27000 for a third division match at Portman Road.

1 Like

True, if uncalled for…

Taking the p*ss out of other teams on a football thread is uncalled for? OK, I’ve misunderstood the rules

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, in their last warm up game before the last Women’s World Cup, the fancied Australian team were beaten something like 7 - 0 by their under male under 17’s.

If we (Norwich) were playing the Aussie women at present I really feel we would treat a draw as a result.

A poor start to the season but even more depressing is that I am struggling to see any improvement in the immediate future.

I think I must have missed your point.

I thought you were stating a fact & I was agreeing with you!

Well done to Liverpool , especially well done to Jurgen.

I think that’s every cup available to win, they’ve won under his leadership

2 Likes

Darwin Nuñez! What a beast!

2 Likes

Apologies - I misunderstood your point. The pitfalls of social media! ATB