Football season 2022 - 2023

Once Haaland has had a few more games to get settled in the City team he may turn out to be quite a player…

3 Likes

Man Utd didn’t turn up, no effort, no commitment , and we looked like we had never played city before and didn’t know what to expect - poor red performance - flattered by the scoreline

I’m convinced that Pep is insane. Making those four substitutions … Foden, De Bruyne, Grealish and Gundogan had been running the game. That was all your mob needed to feel encouraged. It was a schoolboy error. Yes, City have a Champions League game in midweek, but this was nuts. Take an extraordinary five-goal lead and reduce it to a run-of-the-mill three.

Then again, I’m perfectly happy for City to screw up – if only slightly.

The top of the goals scored table now looks like this:

1 Arsenal 20
2 Spuds 19
3 Liverpool 18
4= Brentford 15
4= Man City (excl. Haaland) 15
6= Erling Haaland 14
6= Brighton 14

It looks like Erling Haaland has got some work still to do to get the Golden Boot!

3 Likes

As I said Haaland is a generational player made for the EPL and whilst we have him here for the two or three seasons before he decides to go to Real Madrid and chase down some of Ronaldo’s records we should (unless your playing against him) enjoy watching him.

BUT that doesn’t mean the rest of the EPL should just throw the towel in, because he is prone to injury the way he plays at full stretch and at full power means he is suffers from hamstring injuries and muscle strains.

I’m astounded that Southgate continues to leave Maddison out of his squad.
He’s currently Englands most creative player in a team that’s not playing well.

2 Likes

I’m not astounded. The guy hasn’t got a clue.

Maybe he could play Maguire as an attacking midfielder instead ?

2 Likes

A friend of mine tells me that there is a 10 year waiting list to get on the Spurs season ticket scheme.

I hear there’s also a 10 year waiting list at Man United…

… to get off the season ticket scheme.

3 Likes

For those of us still going to actual matches this may resonate. There may even be a reference to the Dildodrome :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

And yet he managed England to a World Cup semi- final (only losing in extra time) and a European Championship Final (only losing on penalties)…

1 Like

Two tournaments that we should have won.

Easy groups and draws, home advantage in one of the tournaments, a lot of top teams in transition and a lot of luck.
And he blew it when we came to the crunch.
We lost to an Italian side that has failed to qualify for this year’s World Cup.

Harsh, but a lot of truth in what you say.

I became concerned when he squandered that rare tournament luxury, a game where the result didn’t matter, against Belgium in the group stage. We stumbled past two very inferior teams, mainly due to penalties, & it looked like there may have been semblance of a capable team that just needed a bit of tweaking here & there.

Instead of playing the core of his first team & trying out the next three or four players in line (just in case they were needed) he played a reserve side when it seemed obvious to me that there were several areas the first team needed to improve upon that could have been worked on in a tournament match where the result didn’t really matter. I feel that this was a missed opportunity.

The Euro final was much the same as the World Cup semi. An early lead that we sat back on with the only aim being to stop the opposition scoring, for the majority of the match. When the inevitable happened we looked somewhat clueless.

1 Like

Yes England has a nice team, lots of talent. It just needs the hand of a master and not a stewart keeping the shop open.

I’d look outside England for a manager.

1 Like

I don’t think we particularly need a foreign manager (although I wouldn’t say no to Guardiola).

We just need a manager who is a bit less cautious & with a touch more imagination than Southgate. It’s a shame he is lacking (for me) in these areas as he has several attributes that are good for the position. He is personable, has the respect of the players & seems to be on mainly good terms with the media.

2 Likes

Should be an interesting game tonight against Rangers.

Something I nicked from the BBC.

The tributes to Billy Liddell, Bill Shankly and Kenny Dalglish - immortal figures all - that surround the stadium only scratch the surface of the story. Scottish players were the lifeblood of this place from the beginning. In Liverpool’s first ever squad there were 13 Scots.

Andy Robertson, missing the Rangers game through injury, continues that link to this day. And what a link. The first Liverpool player to be capped by Scotland was George ‘Dod’ Allan of Linlithgow in 1897, remembered as the club’s first great goalscorer.

Stewart Robson, ex Arsenal player now pundit, is scathing about Southgate, he calls him a media darling and manages with one eye on the press reaction, ie, compromised.

I just think he is not astute enough to get the best out of those England players…possibly too nice?

1 Like

Klopp’s new 4-2-3-1 formation worked pretty well tonight in an entertaining game.

Yes. Liverpool were comfortably better than Rangers but are still lacking the fluency that we’ve come to expect of Klopp’s side. I’m sure it will come. The season is still very young.

…fluency and chance conversion. Must be one of the lowest so far this season.

I hate to admit it, but Allan McGregor was superb. He kept the scoreline respectable. But I suspect Liverpool will have to be much better in Glasgow; Ibrox is a cauldron.

The Bluenoses really didn’t like YNWA, did they? Can’t imagine why not. :wink:

1 Like