Football season 2022 - 2023

It’s still 48 PL goals in 172 games. Facts are facts.

True. But what we have bought is Richarlison now, not the Richarlison in 2017.

1 Like

Just for comparison (i.e. fun…)

In the last 4 seasons 2017/18 to 2021/22, (whilst Richarlison was at Everton), Jesus has scored 38 goals in 118 games for the mighty chance creating City.

Richarlison average 1 goal per 2.1 games (bargain back up striker material)
Jesus average 1 goal per 3.1 games (awful main striker material).

Still not convinced, Mr Woy…not for that money. But, it will be interesting to see how both players get on in their new clubs.

2 Likes

Sadio Mane = £35 million

Gabriel Jesus = £45 million

Richarlison = £50-60 million.

Haarland = £60 million.

Nunez = £64 million.

I just don’t see how anyone would consider Richarlison value for money based on his time at Everton…and being a backup striker, if that is the case.

Everton must be laughing. I wonder who the Toffees will blow that £60 million on?

1 Like

I agree. It is a ridiculous fee for someone with that scoring record. That’s football for you! :smiley:

Who mentioned value for money ? :grinning:

I see that not everyone agrees, but I think he’s a terrific signing – along with Spurs’ other terrific signings. The key factor for me is whether Spurs can keep Conte happy. If they can, and with the new boys in place, they could be formidable in the upcoming season.

2 Likes

It’s a smart bit of business. Almost, as the cliche goes, like a new signing. Mo is still at his peak.

1 Like

I agree. He’s not a second striker but will give Spurs more flexibility in attack. It will be interesting to see how he’s used.
The real money wasters so far, as in recent seasons, is Arsenal.

2 Likes

Arsenal are the usual mess, and will remain so as long as the Kroenkes are in charge. At least the dreaded Glazers (who are awful, awful owners) seem prepared to compete in the transfer market.

They offloaded Divoc, Mane and Minamino from the salaries and if reports are to be believed he wanted around 400 000 p.w.

If Sala can continue getting around 22 goals a season for the next 4 years, everyone will be happy.

To put it into perspective, it’s still 100 000 p.w. More than the next highest salary of VVD. But 100 000 p.w. Less than DeBryne.

1 Like

And Saints say goodbye to Shane Long. An asset to the club for eight years, but ultimately did not stick the ball in the net often enough.
We wish him well.

1 Like

Dembele is now a free agent….who wants him?

In the U.S. as you must know Stan Kroenke’s teams won this years Super Bowl, Stanley Cup and the National Lacrosse League and in the past two pre seasons so far he has backed Arteta with over £220 million worth of signings with hopefully more to come that’s without the cost of writing off a few contracts on Arteta’s say so.

In a season where we where supposed to finish outside the top seven we managed with 13 losses and a GD of just 13 to miss out on a Champions League by only 2 points and this with signings that last summer the so called experts coughed at.

In this transfer window so far we have bought in without Champions League football Gabriel Jesus, Maquhinhos one of the most highly rated prospects in Brazilian football (think Gabby Martinelli) and out of the blue Fabio Vieria (look him up). So we lost out on Raphinha who played both us and Chelsea to get a move to Barcelona but there is still 8 weeks to go in the transfer window so lets see what a mess where in then.

England win U19 Euros :grinning:

4 Likes

I hope you’re right, Bob. I do know about Fabio Vieira (and the others), and they’re all a bit of a punt. But Kroenke, whatever his clubs’ recent record, is toxic.

Yep they are a mess.

Their supporters can try to spin the facts, but last season was an absolute disaster for Arsenal. Faced with weak competition from my lot, Man. U., Leicester etc., they had Champions League within their grasp and completely blew it, partly down to bad performances, no bottle and a poor manager who really doesn’t know what he is doing.

So what about the future for them ? Well the future will show. But, one thing for certain is that the competition will be much much tougher.

However, they have started this window rather poorly. Pep clearly wanted to clear out Gabriel 1-in-3 Jesus from his squad and his young pal duly helped him out. Considering Jesus was playing in a side that creates chances for fun, his goal return was crap - what will he do when the supply of chances at Arsenal is much more limited ? Is he the saviour ? We shall see.

The other signings are the usual ‘prospects’, with little or no Premier experience, that Arsenal usually sign, with their fans (after googling the players name) screaming that they are gonna be the next Ronaldo etc… They usually fail to deliver.

Maybe Arsenal should try to look at the truly class Premier players that could actually improve their squad ? But then again, which of the class players would actually want to go to Arsenal… ?

:grinning:

Still won F all WW we will talk in May when you have F all again

2 Likes

@Bobthebuilder You might be amused by a crossword clue today in the Washington Post, of all places: Football club founded in 1886. I suspect the compiler was having some fun with the clue right next to it, with the answer: No score.