Football season 2022 - 2023

3 Likes

Looked like there was a good bit of handbags at the end of the Chelsea match!?

Yeah, I think it was between Dan Burn and Havertz mainly. They had a bit of a spat towards the end of the game, which I think was carried over from the game at Stamford Bridge last season. All just handbags, really.

Chelsea seem to in s state of transition, and are probably paying the price for giving the previous manager Ā£200M to spend in the summer. And then sacking him.

3 Likes

Agreed. Theyā€™ve signed a project manager but they werenā€™t exactly known for that when they were owned by the oligarch!
Maybe the new owner has different ideasā€¦ weā€™ll see.

1 Like

So after Ronaldoā€™s interview what happens if Man U freeze him out does he just sit on his backside for six months being paid 500k a week?

1 Like

Crazy attitude, I would send him to train with the youth team, problem is that 19 year old that came on yesterday and scored looks the real deal.

Heā€™s a petulant child!
Imagine going to Pierā€™s Morgan of all people to sell your sob story.

1 Like

He could be in breach of contract and is simply released from it, everyone is happy. Ronaldo gets his wish and United offload a Diva.

1 Like

They ā€˜respectā€™ each other and itā€™s a good catch for Pierā€™s Morgan; eeeeK :clown_face: :clown_face:

Heā€™s with us Norwich supporters, huddled around a small, inadequate single bar electric fire in a dingy pub half way between Norfolk & East London, bemoaning how unfair it all is, gently wiping away the tears, hoping for better times.

3 Likes

From the For What Itā€™s Worth Dept:

The first World Cup I watched was 1966, and Iā€™ve watched every tournament since. But I wonā€™t be watching this travesty from Qatar.

The tournament should never have been awarded to Qatar in the first place. In fact, it wasnā€™t truly ā€œawarded.ā€ It was bought and paid for by a country without football heritage, but with enough filthy lucre to get the reliably corrupt masters of FIFA onside.

Consider this:

• Qatar is so hot, the tournament has to be staged in December, halfway through the domestic seasons of most of the worldā€™s footballing nations.
  • Hundreds ā€” maybe thousands ā€” of migrant workers have died during construction of the stadiums necessary for the tournament (Qatar, almost inevitably, didnā€™t have any suitable stadiums when it ā€œwonā€ the bid to be hosts). Many more workers have been injured.
  • The workers are little more than expendable wage slaves, largely from the Indian sub-continent and the Philippines. They work a minimum of 14 hours a day, the pay is crap, and the jobs came loaded with debts, such as paying off recruiters, that many will never be able to repay.
  • So why didnā€™t the workers bail? At first, their passports were confiscated so they couldnā€™t. That has officially stopped; unofficially, many abuses continue.
  • Women are treated abominably in Qatar, and are at heightened risk of sexual violence and exploitation. They risk prosecution themselves if they report that theyā€™ve been raped.
  • LGBTQ+ people face arrest, harassment, ill-treatment if taken into custody, and years in prison.

I know that my protest makes no difference at all, but thatā€™s not why Iā€™m boycotting the competition. Iā€™m doing so because it makes me sick to my stomach.

7 Likes

Agreed, on all points made. :+1: :+1: ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ :soccer: :soccer: ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ :-1: :-1:

2 Likes

Not wanted in England ?
No problem, you pay, we take good care of him.
Like a vintage Naim amp.

And/or boycott the sponsors

1 Like

The only one of those that I use is Visa. Iā€™ll be writing to them - thatā€™s sure to bring their evil empire crashing down. :grinning:

No worries, I sold my shares in Visa last year.

1 Like

Thank goodness Heineken is not a sponsor. Budweiser I can boycott!

2 Likes

A (deliberately) unfunny cartoon from David Squires

1 Like

Brilliant. And confirms my intention to give this greedfest the body swerve it deserves.

1 Like

Yep. Iā€™ve been boycotting them for years.