Football season 2022 - 2023

But, England are playing Iran next Monday. How does Irans human rights compare to Qatar ? Qatar is an easy, trendy target right now (perfect for the Guardian…).

In fact, we regularly play against countries with dubious human rights records. Why don’t we refuse to play them ? … you know why.

1 Like

The Guardian would boycott England if the tournament was held there!:joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

I’m on the fence but will likely watch the later stages.
How many more world cups in the future for someone in their 60’s?
Unlike the Euro tournaments, having Brazil and Argentina involved enhances the claim of “best in the world”. As a fan of the game, almost incumbent to watch if played every four years.

1 Like

Human rights are only part of the problem (although they’re a huge deal). It’s the corruption on a gigabucks scale.

Anyway, I’m not necessarily positing a coherent argument in favour of a boycott, just saying that a line has been crossed for me.

2 Likes

And therein lies the rub. It’s really difficult for me not to watch this, but it’s even more difficult for me to do so. However, if Scotland had made it…

1 Like

But if they ended up playing Japan…:wink:

1 Like

Me too, ever since having visited the Czech Republic in 1991.

Nothing to do with football or sponsorship, it’s just that the original Czech Budweiser Budvar is far superior to the US Bud drink.

3 Likes

Just watched Kickback, a doco about FIFA that featured the late Andrew Jennings and his relentless pursuit of corruption in football.

I for one won’t be watching any games at this years WC.

1 Like

I have started watching that documentary, it’s very good.

But I have decided to watch the WC, to my mind FIFA is the biggest problem and has been for many decades.

I am anticipating some interesting political developments in Qatar from activists/demonstrators and from a football perspective.

I believe we should just focus on the football and enjoy the tournament. The players and coaches should be allowed to concentrate on the games, not badgered by the media and others to answer political questions. Frankly, I find the pressure on the players and coaches to do the ‘virtue-signalling’ irritating. Klopp was right when he pushed back on it. The time for that was years ago when Qatar bid to host the WC. The players and coaching staff had nothing to do with that decision, and nothing they say or do now will change it.

8 Likes

Well, that’s Brentford f****d then. Glad he’s not in my FFL team.

Given Sturridge got a 4 month ban for telling his brother something one time and Joey Barton 18 months for 30 bets, I reckon we’ll see him again sometime around World Cup 2030!

I remember the 60s when Peter Swann and a couple of other players were banned for life for breaking the gambling rules.
If athletes are today found to have broken the rules on gambling similar sentences should be passed.

If he’s lucky

I agree - we want the world to be better and a stand needs to be taken- but not by football teams and coaches. I will be watching the games.
FIFA has been the problem and needs to raise its game

2 Likes

Curtesy of Private Eye

10 Likes

I’m not asking or expecting them to do so. But I refuse to encourage the corrupt greed-mongers of FIFA or the tyrants of Qatar. Much as it pains me, I simply can’t enjoy my football in these circumstances.

You’ll miss the Netherlands putting England out of the tournament.

1 Like

I guess you haven’t heard. The people currently running FIFA are considered victims of the actions of the people who previously ran FIFA. According to the US Department of Justice.

Plus, are you aware, that when Bobby Moore (the England captain), lifted the world cup in England in 1966. Homosexuality was illegal in England. :grinning:

1 Like

I know all about FIFA, Fatcat. Plus ça change, as they say in Germany. And yes I’m aware of 1966 and all that, but don’t know why I, as a Scot, am supposed to care.

I really hope, that as many Iranian dissidents are asking, the England fans in the stadium boo the Iranian national anthem (not that the bloodthirsty and despotic mullahs will be much bothered).

2 Likes