Football Season 2023/24

Saying money had nothing to do with it is ignoring the obvious.
The owner better spend another fortune as Forest are clinging on this season.

@Christopher_M, in recent games Saints seem to have cut out the habit of getting caught in possession while trying to play out from the keeper. I think that is a key part of the resurgence in form that has seen them rise to the play-offs. It suggests to me that while Russell defends his tactics publicly, behind the scenes he has made some adjustments. That said, I agree with your doubts about whether Russell is the right fit for Southampton.

2 Likes

I see Saudi Arabia is likely to be hosting a future World Cup in 2034 as the only other interested party, Australia, pulled out.

I’m assuming the lack of willingness to host among other nations is at least largely down to costs.

2030 is spread across three continents either side of the Atlantic Ocean, which is clearly just plain daft on so many levels.

Maybe it’s indicative that it’s time for this to just become a football tournament again.

Bin Fifa, investigate fraud and corruption a bit more and in it’s place set up a not for profit body to administrate.

4 Likes

I still refuse to acknowledge the 2022 desert greedfest as being a “World Cup,” but that’s probably just me being an unrepentant curmudgeon. The competition has been destroyed.

3 Likes

You appear to be a bot at this point John. The post to which you are replying said no such thing so you’re just posting straw men. Answering points nobody made. Repeating the same mantra presumably in the hope repetition will make it true and it doesn’t seem to matter how much anyone refutes your assertions with facts.

There’s no way Forest will struggle this season. Their opening fixtures have seen them play Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea. They will pick up points against most of the trams around them and will finodh lower mid table to mid table without any of the crises of last season caused by their owner.

100% agree

2 Likes

Come back Ralf, all is forgiven?

1 Like

It deals directly with your post but hey it doesn’t matter.

That ship has sailed, so, no. Besides Ralf was only ever good in that first season when he had Danny Röhl beside him imo. They worked as good cop/bad cop. When Röhl left for Bayern Munich, players were left with the bad cop.

A couple of days ago @mikehughescq gave a couple of names of young managers to watch out for. though he is older, I will tentatively add Danny Röhl as one of my own. He has a Potterish emotional intelligence which could take him far. It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Wednesday in his first managerial job in Britain.

1 Like

Nice summary of McKenna

Proof it’s not always about anything other than due diligence.

Very entertaining game at the King Power this evening. I expected Leicester to be good but I was very impressed with Leeds. Their intensity throughout the 90 minutes was excellent, as was their defensive resilience. The game was close but on chances created I think Leeds shaded it. A massive 3 points for them.

2 Likes

Beat the top 2 now and deserved to beat them. And the holy grail, a clean sheet. The weekend starts here.

2 Likes

A very organised Mighty Whites side were in complete control for 70 minutes at Leicester, who had no shots on target up until that point.

I can see incremental improvements almost game by game now, and possible automatic promotion is not necessarily out of the question.

Mind you, we’re not even one third of the way through the season, so it’s maybe a bit premature to be making predictions.

M.O.T.

2 Likes

Farke again producing another excellent team. No doubt Leeds will be in contention at the end of the season.

3 Likes

Very interesting scoreline and performance from both teams.

Leicester have attracted lots of headlines but lack of genuine firepower seems to be the potential achilles heel. Lots of wins. Not many big wins. There’s a sense in which the fans have bought in because the style is not dissimilar to last season’s Burnley. Great to watch, but, this season it’s much easier to see that Burnley’s lack of a real goal threat isn’t going to be made up by lots of quick incisive passing. Unless Leicester find a solution, they will be next seasons Burnley.

Leeds are a classic flat track bully. Let them play and they can punish you. Sit back and they’ll struggle to break you down. Thus that brilliant game against Ipswich and yet the struggle against a desperately poor QPR who should have been thrashed.

Leicester were always going to be a team who let Leeds play, so the question was not so much whether they were “better”, as much as whether Leicester would take one of the chances they create and hope they wouldn’t concede on the ones they let Leeds create.

We have the answer.

If I was a Leeds fan I’d enjoy the win and the three points and feel positive about being top three. I’d also look at my midfield; enjoy the way it played but ask if the defensive resilience tonight came from there or elsewhere? That’s your achilles heel. In the EPL people will walk through that midfield when it doesn’t have the ball. This season it will have the ball. Next it won’t. That’s the Farke issue right there. It can be parked this season. Next season it will screw you over if you go up.

On the other hand if I were a Leicester fan I’d look at the next match with a certain trepidation. Boro started badly; stayed calm and are beginning to click into gear. There isn’t much class in the Championship this season but they may end up having a big say in who finishes top three.

No positive vibes from me for tonight’s match. Last season the FA Cup showed the world what we could do and our players what they could do. It ignited the season.

We’ve already played Mansfield this season and it was a tough watch. We did remarkably well to come out with a 0-0 against what appears to be one of the two best teams in our division. Given our injuries and Parky’s ongoing predilection for weird team selections it’s hard to see us doing so well tonight. I am fully expecting us to exit.

Game on now Mike 2-1 to Wrexham. They are a good team

1 Like

I was watching the Copa Libertadores final between Fluminense of Brazil and Boca Juniors of Argentina. I gave up at halftime for two reasons. It’s so slooooow, unlike, say the “English” Premier League. Also, every couple of minutes, someone is rolling around holding their face after an opponent narrowly avoided brushing their back with fingertips. In other words, exactly like the PL.

2-1 Wrexham full time. Great performance, good game.

1 Like

@bhoyo Consider it your punishment for not having S4C on and watching a decent FA Cup game :slight_smile:

@kaypeejay three excellent goals and considering both the conditions and the makeshift nature of our defence it was hard to not be impressed. Considering the struggles we had in the league game that was very different.

Had enough clear chances to be 4 up by half-time albeit that they really ought to have done better with the balls they got into our box. We ought to have also had a penalty and I think the replay showed Mullin wasn’t offside when through on goal in the second half. Whilst Parky complained about the failure to send their lad off for injuring Cannon I think the ref probably got that right albeit a few other things wrong. C’est la vie. Genuinely didn’t see us getting past them. Dalby MOTM for me.

A decent home draw would be good now.

1 Like